Friday, July 21, 2006

There's Not a Word Yet

For old friends who've just met.

The internet is a wonderful thing. I have had such love and support given me over the last week from people I've never even met. Though I've only met a few of the following women in person, I feel like they are my family.

From Carole to the list:

Becky,

Congratulations again on making Shodan in such a wither-resistant way. As Sunshine has stated, this testing is unlike anything I have seen, as well. Most people, in general, could not stand up to the scrutiny. I think it can bring out the best in someone, and you are no exception. We saw you fight through the sweat, the oppressive heat (I think it was about 100degrees outside, and that felt "breezy" -- so figure maybe 120 degrees inside for the testing -- no a/c or windows, and 2 large fans to move the heat around) and the stares of 5 high ranking dans (who did their best to distract you, either by simply standing closeby while you were testing, or actively pelting you with their fists, feet or bodies), and you have the makings of a shodan test worthy of one being tested. Well done, Becky. Rei!

Linde, as always a pleasure to be around and hear the goings on in IR, from both a personal and historical standpoint. Experience is earned, and you share and give your heart and soul everytime we are together.

Sherry, a pint size ball of fun. You were always smiling and laughing, and found positive things to say at every turn. I had to crane my neck to talk to you most of the time because we were in different parts of Becky's truck, but you always made it worthwhile to chat.

Sunshine...speaking of chat, I can't think of anyone who is more observant of everything going on around her, and willing to share what is on your mind. I loved hearing what you had to say, because it simply reminded me of what I had missed, and I hope that when I grow up (although I have been told that at my age I no longer have to grow up), that I have the same humility and curiosity about life as you do.It was a memorable weekend, by far. Thank you ladies for being such an important part of it.

Carole


From Sherry to the list:


We should be all proud of Becky because of the courage and strength she showed in front of all those high ranking dans as well as all the other people stuffed into that extremely hot box of a room. I am grateful that she let us share the experience with her. I was with her all the way in every kata, step, kick, punch and block, holding my breath until she finished each part of her rank test, man that was tiring. Becky is unbelievable! I think I would have fainted because Lord knows that it was hard just standing there, sweating, holding my breath and going though it with you in my mind.

Becky and Carole, I really enjoyed meeting you and sharing a great weekend. I didn’t feel like we were strangers at all, just friends we hadn’t met yet. I felt so comfortable around the two of you even though it was the first time actually meeting. Both of you are amazing, inspirational and fun. Linde Sensei is always a pleasure to be around because I feel like when I am around her I know that I will learn from her life experience and wisdom and she’s funny. Sunshine knows that she is like a daughter to me and her being there to ride with me, get lost with me, and laugh with me just added to the experience.

Becky, once again, CONGRATULATIONS for making shodan and overcoming any and all obstacles that may have been in your way reaching this milestone in life. Thank you for allowing me to experience it with you; it was an honor.

Sherry

From Claudia:

Just wanted to wish you a very hearty congratulations again. and to thank you for posting a picture!

From Christa:


I must have thought about you 2 dozen times on Friday and even more on Saturday. Thanks for blazing the trail and an inspiration to women like me who are new to karate. It gives me hope that someday I'll be able to pass that rank test like you have. I would have liked to be there in person, but I was cheering you on in spirit over here in Texas. So if you heard a faint, "Way to go Becky!" echoing across Louisiana, that was me being excited about your success! =) We are all proud of you!

Wholeheartedly, Christa


From Linde to the list:

This past weekend was great. It was such an honor to be a Becky's test. For us to get to fight her on the test was even better. I wish I had got to spend more time with everyone but the short visit was great. Carol is always a joy to be around. I kept thinking how one person really encouraged her thus she became the encouragement for another. Sherry is always so full life and makes up be up just being around her. Sunshine I am so lucky to have you as a friend. Everytime I see you I know that the future of Isshin ryu is in good hands. We also got to meet several fun and inspiring ladies of Isshin ryu in Mississippi. Diane was one of them and hopefully several others including Lisa , the new ni-dan will join our list soon. Well the 855 miles are beginning to show on my body so I will call it a night. Big HUG


My response to Christa:

Thank you Christa. I'm just following in the footsteps of the wonderfully inspiring women on this list--Linde, Claudia, Dianne, Sandi and the rest of the ones I consider pioneers in the world of Martial arts. If not for them, I don't know if I would have made it here. You WILL make it here one day. As my karate-mom Carole told me, just keep showing up. You'll get there if you just keep showing up. And when you get there, I'll be sending that faint, "Way to to Christa!" back across Louisiana to
you.

Becky/MS

From Mary:

I was thinking of you Becky. Glad to see the photo and Congratulations!!!!!!! Yipee! It is so cool that you women from this group make the trip to go see you - that is soooo awesome! Mary


From Becky/AL:

Wahoo, way to go Becky!!!!

becky/AL

From Margie:

Congratulations!!!!

Margie



From Ann:

Congrats! Aw3esome!!!

From Annie:

Congrats Becky, You have earned it! Annie

And finally, here are a few private messages eschanged between Sherry, Carole, Linde, and Myself:


My response to Linde and the ladies to a message posted on the blog yesterday:

Linde, It was an honor for me to have you there. Don't worry about Sat night. You didn't put a damper on anything. I didn't really feel like going anywhere else anyway, though I would have liked to sit and visit a little more. Well, there's always next time. I'm just glad you're ok and made it home safely. I'll tell you this, though.
I've never driven that hilly, twisty road quite so fast as I did then!

Sunshine it was so good to meet you in person finally, and I'm glad you decided to spar me! I don't think either of us will forget that!

Sherry, you are a joy! I am so privileged to count you among my friends, and humbled that you would come all this way, and nearly pass yourself out for someone you don't even know! (Note: Every time I got up to do something for my test, Sherry would hold her breath and tense up until I was done. She nearly passed out a couple of times! And before the test, she was the one whose hands were shaking!)

And Carole, my karate mom! Sorry I wasn't better company for you. Next time I will be. Thank you for the truly special gift you gave me. The foot has bruised up quite nicely and is rather stiff, but I don't think it is broken. I don't know how that happened. I think it was in the self defense. Petco didn't open until 10, so Onyx is still in the dark, but he'll get over it.

Thank all of you for being here for me.

Love you all,

Becky

And Carole's response:

Hi y'all.

Becky, It was an honor and privilege to be there with you. I can't thank you enough for making me feel so welcome in our home ... oops, I mean your home. You were great during your testing, fighting all the way. Most people would wither under that kind of scrutiny (whether it was 120 degrees or not!). I'm proud of you (karate daughter), and I know you will continue to make your sensei proud. In answer to your notes below (or Sherry, is that above, or next, well, you know what I mean): you're welcome, and you too were good company!! We chatted, had our snacks and
watched our movies together...what more could a girl want?

Sherry, Not bad looking for a 45yr old elderly woman hahahaha You are young at heart and spirit. It was fun sharing time with you and getting to know you a bit
better (now to go back and read some of your posts...to see what I've really been missing)...which brings me to

Sunshine, As I said in our parting on Saturday, it was indeed a pleasure spending time with you. You are SOOO observant...makes me want to take a closer look around me...I will indeed IM you one of these days, if only to say Hi and Bye (is that ok???).

Linde, Always a pleasure. You have so much knowledge and background that we want to hear about, there WILL be a next time. Hope you're feeling better. You
gutted it out throughout the testing, and even sparred. Oh, sometimes the price we must pay to do the things we want.

Love you all, ladies. Thanks for a memorable weekend.

Carole

From Sherry:

Becky,
It was so great to meet you and Carol. Now when I read your emails I hear your voice and see your face. I was so very proud of you Saturday. You did so well. I really did get fatigued and felt exhausted after your test I guess because I was so nervous for you and stopped breathing every time you went up for anything, but you did wonderfully and I congratulate you from the heart.

I am sorry that we (Sunshine and I) did not stay longer, but I had to get back. I decided to leave early because I was so tired. I had just been getting over having strep throat, drove there right after work on Friday, couldn’t sleep well that night (too excited I guess), and was really fatigued by the end of your test and taking
care of Linde (we didn’t have to do much, but I was very worried about her).

Thank you for giving us the honor of coming to your rank test. I enjoyed meeting you and Carol. You guys (you and Carol) are great and I am looking forward to seeing you again sometime.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Another from Sherry:

It was an honor to be there. Thank you for letting us share that special moment when you passed your rank test and became shodan—I felt like crying. You performed so well and I know that the women on this list are all proud of you as am I. You know, a real strange thing is that I felt like I had worked out and had some soreness in some muscles and all I did was stand around! I think it is because of holding my breath every time you went up and tightening my muscles as if I were doing it with you. I was exhausted after you did Sanchin! Also, thank you for lending me your son’s gi—I’m glad that we wear the same size. And Linde Sensei, thank you for lending me your extra obi. I’m so scatter brain sometimes and when I got home, there it was hanging near where I had put my overnight bag all set to go with my sports bra and obi. I hate being so forgetful, but even though it was your time and you were probably nervous, you still were kind enough to offer your son’s gi. And with Linde Sensei also coming to the rescue with her obi as well, I didn’t have to look like I was being a complete doofus. You two helped me to look respectful, making me feel like I was a part of the experience. Thank you.

I really enjoyed meeting you and Carole for the first time and wish that I had the opportunity to spend more time there. Hopefully we well be able to get together again sometime somewhere soon and maybe even more of the IRW will be able to be there too.

A huge CONGRATULATIONS AND HUGS to a really nice person who allowed us to share her experience.

Sherry

That's it for now...The completed essay will be posted tomorrow.

No comments: