Thursday, October 10, 2019

Makes My Day

You know what really makes my day?  When I'm up there in Walmart and someone comes up to me and says, "I just love your blog!"  That's what really makes my day.  Thank you, Mrs. Norma!  It means so much to me!

You know what else makes my day?  Making other people happy.  Now that the recipients of the following have received the following, I can finally blog about it.  Boy was it hard to keep these secrets for two weeks!

I'd always planned on picking up a few things for my nonbiological sister Suzie at Fiber Fun In The Sip.  Her health prevents her from attending fiber festivals and things like that, so putting together a little care package for her was a given from the get go.


I only got her one skein of yarn, because she'd recently mentioned that she was de-stashing.  The colorway is called Jazz Rhapsody, and it was dyed by our friend Leann.

That fuzzy lump in the middle is an alpaca, made from...well, alpaca.  It is sooo soft.  Just below it is handmade goat milk soap made with oil distilled from Kudzu blooms.  It smelled pretty good, too.  I was almost tempted to keep it, but no, it's for Suzie.  The next thing is a little alpaca keyring, and also, a keyring that says "I knit and I know things."  On the far right is a stitch marker shaped like Mississippi.  Finally, I tossed in the keyring and pen they'd given us, plus the show's program booklet, and put it all into the FFITS gift bag and sent it to her.


It made a nice surprise for her when she got home from her latest hospital stay.

Now, Amy's care package, well, that was a different story.  All weekend Christi and I had been trying to get her to come hang out with us, but personal reasons prevented her from doing so.  We sent her selfies saying, "Come join us!"  We took pictures of yarn and sent it to her, all kinds of torture.  We even said we'd body check her to keep her from spending money, but all to no avail.  She just couldn't swing it this time.

So, there we were, just a shopping away, at the booth that had all the stitch markers, when Christi found some LSU ones.  "We can send them to Amy," she said.

"Yeah!"  I agreed, "and I'll go get her some of those purple and gold mini skeins we saw."

OK, I didn't really say that, but if I told you I'd said, "I'll get that yarn," it wouldn't make much sense to those of you who weren't in on the original conversation.

I ran back to the booth we'd just left, grabbed the purple and gold yarn, and put them up onto the counter.  "I'm back!"  I said to the man -- who was visiting with another vendor.  "We're making up a care package for our friend who couldn't come."

I paid for the yarn, and carried on shopping.  I was all the way down at the end of the row, buying my drop spindle when the other vendor who'd been visiting with the man from whom I bought the yarn walked up behind me and slipped something into my bag -- the little tin of threading needles.

"It's for your friend who couldn't come," he said.


How sweet of him to do that!  If you happen to see Two Guys Yarn at a fiber festival or something, be sure to toss some business their way.  I plan on doing just that at the next FFITS.  And I hope Amy can join us then!

Last, but certainly not least, the recipient of these cute little stitch markers hasn't actually gotten them yet, as I only mailed them this morning.


I'm not going to tell you who they are for, though.  That would ruin the surprise, but if you get a package from me on Saturday, it's you!

Surprise!  I hope you enjoy them!

No comments: