Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Fiber Fun In The 'Sip Part III

Last night was rough.  Really rough.

I seem to have picked up some sort of sinus crud or some such.  I don't know, but my sinuses and throat are on fire.  As if that weren't bad enough, my throat has been so very dry, all night long, I kept waking myself up coughing.  Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

During some of those few moments when I did get to sleep, I dreamed that a dream had come true.  I'd finally been able to go see the Fisherman's Friends -- also known as my white headed shanty men-- sing live and in person.  I had front row seats.  I was so close, I could count the boogers in their noses.

I have no idea why I said that.  I've long since given up trying to find an explanation for such things.

Still, I was there, they were singing, and I was having a grand old time ------and the alarm went off.  Sigh....

As if to add insult to injury, my Stalker was back.  I spent the whole day tired, irritable, coughing, hurting, and gasping for breath.  Yay me.  I said to myself, "I'm never going to volunteer to go home early, but today, if they try to send me, I'm not going to argue, either."  But they didn't.  Try to send me home early, that is.  I worked the whole, interminable 10 hour shift. 

The good news is, I remembered I have another vacation day coming up Thursday, so only one more work day for me.  I've got some errands to run, then I'm going to spend the rest of the day being lazy.  Depending on how I feel, I mean.

By now, you're probably asking yourself, "When is she going to get to the Fiber Fun In The 'Sip part?"  Well, here you go...

The best part of fiber festivals isn't the classes, or the vendors, or the gorgeous yarns, or the entertainment...it's hanging out with friends.  Especially friends I only get to see once a year.   While I was in my Zoom Loom class Thursday, I peeked out of the window and saw Leann and her cousin Denise setting up their booth.


They had lots of events planned this year.  First up was a spinning contest, where the contestants don't even know what they're going to be spinning.


They were given a box, but couldn't open it until the contest started.  It contained some mighty strange stuff, I'm telling ya.  It had some wool fiber, cotton balls, cobwebs, dryer lint, silk fibers, shredded paper, feathers, Spanish moss, and dog hair.  That's all I can remember, but that's enough.

The girl on the left in the maroon shirt and blue skirt won.  She's the one I bought my drop spindle from.

They'd also had a knit-along/crochet-along.  Participants were given about a month to knit or crochet the shawl pattern, then they had a fashion show to show off their finished products.  Here we see one of the contestants modeling her shawl.


That was about it for organized activities, but there was still plenty to do.  I met some new people.  This is Amy and Pam, friends of Christi.


Amy is such a hoot.  She had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe at one point.  She's wearing the shawl she modeled in the fashion show -- or as she put it, as she walked around like a dork.

This is Emily.


I'd met her last year, and she is a genuinely nice person, and fun to be around.   That's Denise sitting behind her.  She was missing her donkey.  Seriously.  She'd just adopted him from the animal shelter, and was missing him. 

And of course, Christi, who is always a joy.


While we were visiting, I managed to get a whole hat cast on and knit.


They were all very impressed with the Chinese Waitress cast on-- especially with how stretchy it is.

All too soon, our time together was at an end.  We took the ubiquitous group photos:


Emily, Amy, Christi


Christi, Me, Leann


Christi is probably the only person in the world who can convince me to take a selfie.

And we hugged, and we clung to each other, and we promised to get together before next September, and many bitter tears were shed at our parting.

Christi and her friends headed back towards Starkville and Columbus, and I went back to the hotel for another night, then came home on Sunday.  And that was it for Fiber Fun In The 'Sip 2019.  I'm already counting down the days until the next one. 

Oh, and yes, I did take my bug out bag with me.


You may ask why I would need a bag of survival gear, since I was only going to Vicksburg -- a 2 1/2 hour drive.  Well, the Minnow was only supposed to be going on a three hour tour, and you saw what happened to Gilligan and them.

That's why. 

No comments: