Friday, October 11, 2019

I've Run Out Of Clever Titles

Actually, I think I ran out of clever titles several titles ago, so you get this.  Such is life...

And now, on to your regularly scheduled post.

I've had this problem with chipmunks ever since I moved into this house.  Last week, I got fed up, and ordered a live trap from Amazon.  It was supposed to get here Monday, but it didn't.  I thought maybe it'd get here Tuesday, but it didn't.  By Thursday, I'd figured it was not going to arrive at all, so I requested a refund, which I've received.  I also left the seller a very poor review, to which they have not responded. 

Since I still have a chipmunk tearing up my yard, when I did my in town running yesterday, I ran into Tractor Supply to see if they had a live trap.   You know, I really need to stay out of that store.  It's like a wonderland.  So much fun stuff.

I didn't find a trap, but I did pick up this totally cute chicken mug.


They had four different breeds, and I debated for a long time, and finally settled on this one.  The first person I thought of when I saw them was my friend Marcy, who has chickens.  Do go check out her blog, and she's also got a vlog on YouTube.  Check that out, too.  She's really cool.

All that aside, I still have a chipmunk problem.  I thought about running up to Lowe's today, but ended up just staying home and being lazy.  Probably a good thing, because the long awaited cold front finally arrived.  It passed quickly, but got pretty hairy there for a while.  It's supposed to get down into the low 40s tonight.  I brought some firewood up, just in case.


I'm going to try to hold off burning it, because I've almost used up all the wood from that huge tree I had cut down.  I think I have enough to last through this winter, if I'm frugal with it.  I'll just have to get out there and finish splitting it.   By next year, I'll have to start buying some.  There's usually someone selling it on the local yard sale pages. 

In the meantime, I made a bunch more Zoom Loom squares.


They weave up so quickly, it won't be long until I have enough to make a blanket.

Yesterday, I found this meme and sent it to Cody.


Which is about how I'm playing.  He told me I wasn't messing up, I had become a jazz player.  They aren't wrong notes, they're atonal melodies -- or so he said.   Same as it is in knitting.  It's not a mistake.  It's a design element.  He asked how practice was going, and I said not well.  My hands are just too small to make the chords, and I told him how frustrated I was getting.  He said he's going to teach me something called triads.   He said they're much easier to reach than full chords.  

In the meantime, I got his fiddle out and tuned it.  I'm going to have to find a better book, though, or look for lessons online.  The book he has seems like it's meant to be used in a classroom type setting, with an actual instructor.  I tried looking at it, but it gets pretty advanced very quickly.  I mean, lesson two had sharps and all.  I don't even know how to make those notes yet, and there aren't any "this is how you play an F#" type of instructions.  The lessons just assume someone has taught you how to make the notes.  As a result, I'm only playing the open string notes.  There are only 4:  E, A, D, and G.  

I ordered a thing from Amazon that you can put right onto the neck of the violin.  It shows you where to put your fingers to make the other notes, since a violin doesn't have frets like a guitar does.  Oh, and there isn't anyone in town who teaches violin.  When would I go anyway?  It's the same problem I have with taking guitar or piano lessons.

Speaking of, there is a rumor going around that they're going to put us back to 8 hour shifts starting next year.  EVERYONE in the plant is praying that rumor is true.  They usually aren't, but we're all hoping this one is. 

In other news, Rylea hasn't been feeling well.  


I found some sort of strange lump on her neck.  I thought she'd been stung or something, but it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller.  If it's not better in a few days, another trip to the vet may be in order.  I'm hoping it's just a seroma or a cyst, and not something more serious.  That my time with her is getting short is never far from my mind. 

And finally, you have no idea how much this made my day.



Yeah, yeah, I know it's jut one of FB's algorithms, but hey, a girl can dream, can't she? 


1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

That coffee mug is so cute! And you are so sweet! :-)