Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Sore!

 I am so sore today!  I mean, seriously sore.  Between driving Sunday, mowing Monday, and yesterday...well, yesterday I started to clear this mess up.


I'm going to need to get it all out of the way before I call the surveyor and the Fence Guys, so I got out my mini chainsaw and started hacking away at it.  

Cutting it down is kinda fun.  Hauling it all way...not so much.  

I made a good start on it, but by this morning, my arms were so sore, I couldn't even hang up my brazing tip at work.  Seriously, I had to kind of brace my arm against my side and hitch my hip up to get my hand high enough to reach the hanger.  Fortunately, as the day went on, the soreness eased and I feel much better now.  

Still, all that said, I decided I'd take a break today and just rest.  I'll get back to it over the long weekend.  By the way, I was still curious about the property lines, so I got out my paperwork from the sale -- of the house, I mean -- and it said something about a stake at the Northeast corner being the boundary marker for my property, then giving the measurements for my lot from that stake.  

When I got home from work this afternoon, I went looking for said stake.  And guess what I found.  

I don't know about you, but that looks an awful lot like a boundary marker to me.  And it is right at the Northeast corner of my fence.  Furthermore, when I squatted down beside it and looked, it was a straight shot right beside the fence, right out to the utility pole.  Just like I thought. Of course, I will confirm with a surveyor before replacing the fence, but I'm 99% sure I now know where the property line is. 

Oh, and yes, that is the cat in the background. 

In other news, I didn't take a whole lot of photos of Cody and Brennan's wedding, but I got a few of the cake cutting. This one is my favorite. 


They did not do the cake smashing in the face thing, and I'm glad of that.  To me, it's disrespectful and demeaning.  

Moving right along, someone at work keeps putting some prototype parts into the scrap bin.  Yesterday, I saw that someone had gotten them out of the scrap, then put them on a table with the following note.  Yes, you'll have to tilt your head sideways, because I was trying to take the photo on the sly and didn't get the camera rotated.  


We are doomed, I tell you.  Society is doomed. 

And finally, remember how I said I wasn't going to complain about quality any more?  Well, I lied.  Today I got a bin of parts that were all scratched and scraped up. They made me cringe, but still, I gritted my teeth and carried on....until I got to this one.   


Do you see it?  You may have to blow the photo up a bit, but look carefully at that small vertical line right in the bend.  Can you tell what it is?  Yep, it's a flipping hole in the copper.  

Bypassing Group Leader Shark -- who would have just yelled at me and told me to re-order another one-- I went straight to Supervisor Jeramy -- who was filling in for our regular supervisor today.  I told him, "I know I said I wasn't going to complain about quality in this place any more," and he kind of chuckled.  "But I can't just let this one go.  It's too much, and I had to say something."  

He took the part, and later I saw them discussing it at their 9:30 meeting, but I don't think he quite got what the point was.  They seemed to be talking about why the machine did that and how to fix it.  However, the point was that a part with a hole in it should never have made it all the way to the brazers in the first place.  The machine operator should have #1, noticed that something was scratching up all the parts, and #2, noticed a bleeping HOLE in a part.  

That's the whole problem with that place.  It has too much of a kick the can down the road attitude with it comes to quality.   Say, for example, you have a sewer line break and it's dumping raw sewage into the river.  What do you do?  Do you run down to the mouth of the river and try to catch the sewage, or do you repair the sewer line?  You fix the problem at the source.   That's what they don't seem to want to do. 

ADP has us running around in the Gulf Of Mexico trying to scoop up turds, while completely ignoring the raw sewage that is still pouring into the river. 

And I realize I probably could have come up with a better metaphor, but you get my point. 

I guess that's all I have for today.  I think I'll go take a hot shower and go to bed early.  Is 5:30 too early for bed?  Imma say no...

Laters.

No comments: