Sunday, January 13, 2019

I Found It!!

Remember that obscure song that nobody outside my family had ever heard of I mentioned the other day?  Well, it appears somebody outside my family did hear about it, because I found it on YouTube!

For your listening pleasure, here it is:



Not just that song, but the entire album is uploaded! Yes, I do get ridiculously excited about such things.

That's probably a good thing, because that's the most exciting thing that's happened this weekend.  Unless you want to hear about the BBC documentary on sea shanties I found on YouTube. And watched.  And enjoyed very much.

I've been on a sea shanties kick lately.  I'm not sure if it's the Navy veteran or the child of Vikings in me-- or it could be memories of my Dad and I playing ship captain in the back yard-- but there it is.

Anyway, I've been listening to them on YouTube.  I turned on the autoplay and have found several new ones I didn't even know existed.  I think this one is my new favorite:



I've been singing it at work -- loudly -- much to the dismay of my coworkers, I'm sure.  Then, of course, watching this video I discovered that there is a Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival.  I gotta go to that!

By the way, I also discovered that one benefit of getting older is you can totally geek out over stuff and just not care what people think.  I mean, you ought to be able to do that at any age, but there's no way I would have admitted in high school how much I loved this kind of stuff.

You should never be ashamed or afraid to admit that you love what you love.

In other -- less exciting -- news, I was in Wal-Mart Friday evening and just happened to wander down the clearance aisle, where I found these lanterns.


They've got flame-less LED candles inside them.  At first, I thought I could hang them somewhere on my porch at Christmas, but they aren't rated for outdoor use.  So, I put them here, where they fit right in with my barn/farmyard decorating theme.


I'm eventually going to move my boat head thing and my Doctor Who things to another location.  They don't really go with my theme.  Last fall, I found some tin chicken models I thought would look nice there, but didn't buy them.  Now they're gone, but I know kind of what I want for those spots.  Something like those chickens on one side, and maybe a miniature plow model or some other farm implement for the other.

In all the previously mentioned excitement, there has been knitting going on.  I'd taken it into my head to knit a five color helix hat with the yarn I'd bought for my sister in law's Christmas gift -- which I didn't even send to her.  Because I couldn't find the right size box and time ran out.  So I just ordered something from her Amazon wish list.

Anyway, the five color helix knit didn't happen.  I cast on with all five colors, and I didn't like the way it was working out.  Then I thought I'd do the ribbing in a solid color, and add the other four when I got to the body of the hat.  By the time I got through with the ribbing, though, I'd changed my mind again.  It's just going to be a solid purple hat.


Maybe I'll do a helix knit later, when all I have left are scraps.

For now, there are more sea shanties to listen to.  And geeking to do.









No comments: