Wednesday, January 02, 2019

First Day Back


The first day back to work after a vacation is always rough.

Seems I say that every year, but it's true.  And the older I get, the rougher it is.  Going from mostly sitting in my chair all day, to standing on my feet for twelve hours...by the time the work day was over, I was walking a bit like Tim Conway.



I had a nice, long post all mentally composed for you about the college football playoff system.  I was going to discuss how they switched to this system because people were claiming the BCS wasn't "fair."

Instituting a four game playoff was supposed to change all that, to give all teams a fair shake, right?  Wrong.   Now they're talking about how this isn't "fair" and they need to expand the playoff system to include more teams.

And I was going to mention how the four teams are chosen by a committee, instead of a computer model, which isn't biased at all, is it?

Thing is, you're never going to have a true national champion at the collegiate level, because it's just too big.  It's too disparate to come up with a system that is completely fair to everyone.  If you ask me, they need to just do away completely with the idea of a national champion, and go back to letting the bowl games mean something.  That would also require getting rid of the myriad bowl games we have now, in which any team who breaks even gets to play.

I was going to laugh at how funny I thought it was that the two teams complaining most, UCF and Georgia, both lost their bowl games.  But by the time I got home from work, my brain was too tired to be coherent, so I'll just leave you with the play of the game from the Sugar Bowl, and bid you good night.




And also, to give a shout out to the handlers of both mascots.  Their quick responses to this unpredictable situation possibly prevented serious injury, to Uga and to the bystanders. 

No comments: