Thursday, July 12, 2018

They're Here

I had a nice little surprise waiting for me when I got home.  Cody was sitting in my driveway.  Sitting in his car.  In my driveway.  He wasn't just plunked down in the gravel.  I told him he could have come inside the house, and he just shrugged.  I reminded him that this is his house, too, and I want him to feel at home here.

But enough about that.  The reason he is here to begin with is that he has applied for a job with Fed Ex in Memphis.  He has to go in person to do a drug test and all.  So, he made a flying trip from Texas.  He had to work yesterday at the Home Depot, then drove in to Jackson when he got off.  He stayed there with friends last night, and is driving on up to Memphis today.  He stopped by to visit with me for about 45 minutes after I got home from work.   He'll go for his interview and stuff tomorrow, then will drive back to Texas Saturday, because he has to work Sunday morning.  He's going to be one tired puppy after all that.  I told him he could stop here and take a breather if he wanted to, but I don't know if he will. 

I asked him what he would be doing for Fed Ex -- provided he gets the job.  He is going to start off in package handling, and is thinking about maybe going for his CDL license and becoming a truck driver.  I'm not sure if he means long haul or local delivery.  I don't think he knows himself, yet.  I hope he gets the job.  I've heard Fed Ex is a good place to work.  I checked, and if he gets the job, Cody will start off making almost as much per hour as I do after 23 years in that hell hole I work for.  Heck, maybe I should apply...

I said it will be nice to have him closer, and he replied that was a factor in him doing this.  See, my brother's recent heart attack and subsequent surgery kind of scared Cody.  He got to thinking about his Mama being so far away from family -- now that they've all moved back to Texas -- and wanted to be closer, just in case something happened.   Awww, my baby wants to take care of me.

Those of you so inclined, please pray that he gets that job.  It'll be a great start to a great career if he chooses to go that route. 

I mentioned the other day about ordering something else for my bedroom, and it arrived today.  Here it is:




But wait, you say.  Didn't you already have those?  Sort of.  My sister had sent me these in the form of paper posters, but I'd never hung them.  Since they're an odd size, I'd have to have them custom framed, and that can get expensive.  I even tried to hang them with poster tape, but they just fell off the wall.

I was on Amazon a week or so ago, looking for stuff with which to decorate, when I ran across the same three prints, only this time on stretched canvas, already mounted and ready to hang!  I hesitated to buy them at first, because it felt like I was rejecting the ones my sis sent.  After consideration, though, I realized she'd want me to have the prints on my wall, even if it meant buying another set.  So, I did. 

Now, they are here, and I can finally finish decorating my bedroom -- well, almost.  I still have one corner that needs something in it.  I want to find a brass sextant and maybe an old fashioned telescope to put there. 

It'll go with my theme, which seems to be finding my direction in life.  Maps, lighthouses, compass roses...all point to safety.

Or adventure.  Depends on which way you are headed. 



No comments: