Thursday, July 19, 2018

Fire

Yesterday, I was at work, just a working away, when one of the assembly line group leaders asked my group leader if I could come help his line brazers.  They had some really big, all aluminum units, and it was slow going.  A third brazer would really speed things up.  Why he asked for me and not one of the brazers that originally came off his line is beyond me, but he did. 

I don't like working on that line.  Not at all.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping out wherever I'm needed, and everyone over on that line seems really nice.  Still, every time I go over there, I get a really weird paddle faster I hear banjos type of vibe.  It's nothing I can put my finger on specifically, but the whole time I was working on that line, I felt like the flat land foreigner who'd stumbled into a backwoods hillbilly clan.  It's kind of a creepy feeling. 

The only reason I'm even telling you this is because this morning, I mentioned it to a coworker, and she said, "I'm so glad you said that, because I thought it was just me."  She'd been getting the same vibe from that line.  I'm glad it wasn't just me

So, on to today's news.  The Fire tablet I'd ordered on Prime Day has arrived. 


It's pretty much the same as my other Fire, just a little larger.


He he, it makes my first Fire look positively dinky! 


Then, in a fit of nostalgia, I got out my original Kindle and charged it back up. 


I have something of a soft spot for that old piece of technology.  It was cutting edge in it's day.  Now we just laugh at how clunky and outdated it is.

Kind of like watching Emergency reruns.   

Even so, I would never dream of giving it up.  I read many and many a book on that old machine. 

Back to my new Fire.  I was reading about it on the website, and you can expand the memory with a micro SD card.  THAT'S when I discovered my old Fire 8 also has a slot for a microSD.  Sigh, and here I'd been deleting stuff left and right...

The good news is, I think the keyboard is large enough I can actually type, you know, like regular typing, not just with my thumbs.  My Uncle Jack types with just two fingers -- and he types very fast indeed.  When I was younger, I used to wonder how he did it.   Now I know.

The only thing I still need to get is a screen protector.  When I'd ordered the cover for my Fire 8, it came with a screen protector.  This cover didn't.  It's on my list to look for when I go to Wal-mart Saturday after work.  If they don't have one, I'll have to order it from Amazon. 

Speaking of, rumor has it this might be our last Saturday for a while.  I've heard it from a couple of sources, at least one of which is reliable.  The other, not so much.  I don't know about Fridays yet, but heck, I'll be glad to finally have some weekends off. 

I will miss those big paychecks, though.  Oh well, there's always a trade off.






No comments: