Saturday, July 28, 2018

Lazy Weekend


Or at least a lazy Saturday.  I did all the mowing yesterday, so I didn't have to worry about it today  I even did the weedeating.  My weedeater and I don't get along.  I can never seem to wind the string so that it feeds when you bump the little knob.  Every time I need new string, I have to stop, cut the weedeater off, unscrew the knob, and manually unroll some more string.  It gets quite tedious.
By the time I was done, I was walking like Tim Conway's little old man, but at least it was done, and I could relax for the rest of my weekend.

via GIPHY

This morning, I got up and went down to the local Farmer's Market, where I bought some more pattypan squash.


The lady selling me asked what I do with it, and I told her I make pies.  That's what I intend to do with these.  I cooked them down and got enough to make four pies.  I put it up in the freezer, and will probably make my pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I still have that pumpkin I cooked down last year, so I can make a real pumpkin pie.  Cody has talked about coming for the holidays.  I hope he does.  If not, I'll have a lot of pie to eat up. 

I looked around some more and saw this honeysuckle jelly.


It makes me wonder how they get honeysuckle juice.  I know there is the nectar, but you'd need thousands of blooms to get enough to make jelly.  I haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting. 

Every few days, I have a visitor behind the fence. 


She's a big old doe.  So big, the first time I looked back there and saw her, I thought somebody's cow had gotten out.  But no, she's a whitetail. 


After I left the Farmer's Market this morning, I ran in to Wal-mart to buy some cat food.  On impulse, I grabbed a bag of deer corn, too.


If I can feed her, and keep her close to the house, she may survive hunting season. 

And finally, I don't normally use straws, but I bought this. 


Because I don't live in Santa Barbara or Seattle and I can. 

So there. 

'Merica!









No comments: