Tuesday, January 02, 2018

First Day Back

The first day back at work after a holiday is always rough.  It's hard getting up at 4:30 after being able to sleep as late as I want for the last two weeks.  As if that weren't enough, I battled a wicked case of insomnia last night, so I'm running on about 4 hours sleep.

I watched the first half of the Sugar Bowl, then turned the TV off and went to bed.  I might as well have stayed up and watched the whole thing, because the game was over before I fell asleep.  I was laying there tossing and turning, and thought, "Hmmm, I'll just check the score on my phone."  I did.  Then tossed and turned some more, and thought, "Let me just check that score on my phone."  And so it went until after midnight, and Alabama was headed to the National Championship game.

Want to hear something funny, and a bit ironic?  Back in 2011, two teams from the same conference were chosen to play in the BCS National Championship game.  The college football world was livid, and the resulting outcry completely blew up the entire BCS system.  They changed everything and instituted a playoff.  Four teams are chosen to play in two bowl games.  The winners play in the national championship game.  A committee of 13 men choose which four teams will play.   I wondered how that was any better than the previous system.  Still, it was what everyone wanted.  It would make things more fair, they said, so they wouldn't be favoring one conference, they said.

Yesterday, the Georgia Bulldogs -- from the SEC East-- defeated the Oklahoma Sooners in the Rose Bowl.  They earned their spot in the title game.

Yesterday, the Alabama Crimson Tide -- from the SEC West -- defeated the Clemson Tigers in the Sugar Bowl.  They earned their spot in the title game.

Yep, you read that right.  Once again, two teams from the same conference will be playing for the national championship.  That's the irony.

So, here's the funny part.  As soon as I got home from work, I turned on the TV and some guy was ranting about how unfair the playoff system was because it was biased and favored certain conferences.  But, wait, isn't this what you all wanted?  Maybe you should listen to me and dispense with the national championship altogether.  The college football world is too big and too diverse for there to ever be a level playing field.   What they need to do is reduce the number of bowl games so that playing in one means something once again.  The Sugar Bowl, The Cotton Bowl, The Orange Bowl, The Rose Bowl...let them mean something again.  And for Heaven's sake, stop making every team that breaks even bowl eligible!  A team should at least have a winning record to play in a bowl.  Maybe that's just me, though.

Enough football talk...

This morning, I walked down to my supervisor's desk to give him a heads up that I have jury duty coming up.  He said he'd gotten summoned, too.  He's got to go next week, though.  I'm going the week after.  He told me it was the first time he'd been summoned to jury duty in 14 years.  I just went


via GIPHY

Fourteen years!  I've been summoned three times in the last five years alone.  The first time, I didn't have to go.  That was for Federal court and they wanted me to go to a town 90 miles away.  Greenville, for you local peeps.  I wrote on the card you fill out and send in that I didn't have a reliable vehicle (which I didn't at the time), and they excused me.

Supervisor said his wife is like me.  Every time she turns around, she's getting another summons.  Ah, well, that's life in the big city.

Well, I'm going to head for bed and try to get some sleep tonight.  Good night, Gentle Reader.


Oh, and I almost forgot Squeaky's birthday!  Happy 17th Old Girl!








No comments: