Thursday, September 07, 2017

Not Friday







From the moment I woke up this morning, today has felt like a Friday to me. As many times as I've told myself it's only Thursday, it has still felt like Friday.  It also feels like Fall, for which I am immensely grateful. 

As for work...Group Leader has this new thing where she's having people come in at 5:00 AM and start running the line.  Now, for those of you not familiar with where I work, our assembly lines have water tank in the middle of each line.  This is the tank in which the units are tested for leaks.  We call this the test tank.

The part of the line before the test tank is called The Front Of The Line.  The part of the line behind the test tank is called The Back Of The Line.

Now that we have that cleared up, back to my story.  Group Leader has been having a few people come in early and run the line.  Problem is, she has 6 or 7 people working on the back of the line, but only one working on the front of the line.  I'll just let you guess who that one person is.  I'm doing six different jobs -- none of which is my actual job.  Oh, and Other Sub Brazer also comes in early, but she doesn't do anything but stand at her brazing stand, stuffing her face and watching me work.  Thus bestowing upon herself the moniker of "Lazy Laura". 

What ends up happening is that the people at the end of the line run the line dry.  That means, they finish all the units on the back of the line, so there is nothing whatsoever left.  Then Group Leader comes to the front of the line and starts rushing me to fill the line back up.  Remember, I'm by myself up there, trying to do six different jobs.  This morning, I'd had enough.  I talked to Supervisor and told him, "If you're going to have people coming in to run the line, I've got to have some help up here.  I can't keep up by myself."

Supervisor replied that she wasn't supposed to be running the line.  She was supposed to be filling the line up and getting things ready for the regular shift.  He went down and talked to everyone at the end of the line, so maybe tomorrow morning I can actually do the stuff I'm going in early to actually do. 

Sometime later in the day, there I was at work, just a working away, when it suddenly hit me.  I'm going to have another baby born soon.  No, not mine.  Beverly's other granddaughter Shelbi is expecting a little girl in about 9 weeks.  It kind of snuck up on me.  But it occurred to me that since I knit Brooklyn something, I should probably knit Addlyn something, too. 

Since Addlyn is going to be a late fall baby, I'm probably going to go with a sweater and hat combo.  I'm going to use the same yarn, though.  I've got lots left over. 

Now, I'm off to peruse baby sweater patterns...

No comments: