Monday, September 18, 2017

It's Monday, All Right


There I was at work, just a working away, when I heard a commotion from the front of one of the third shift lines. 

Now, let me step out of my story for a minute to explain that I go in early to set up the front of my line before the regular day shift people get there.  Not that I'm irregular.  But I am...well, you know what I mean.  When this incident took place, I'd been there maybe half an hour, so third shift hadn't gotten off yet.  OK?  Back to my story.

Where was I?  Oh, yeah...commotion from the front of one of the third shift lines.  At first I thought that someone was goofing around, making jokes or something, because they do a lot of playing on third shift and sometimes they get loud.  I didn't think too much of it.

But the commotion didn't stop.  Soon, all the people on that line were looking towards the front of the line, and I heard somebody say, "fight".  I still didn't think too much of it.  People often get into arguments in the plant; sometimes even yelling, screaming arguments. 

But the yelling and screaming didn't stop.  A moment later, the fight spilled out of the autobrazer and onto the platform behind it.  That's when I saw it was more than just an argument.  Two men were literally fighting -- hitting each other and all.  Their group leader got between them, trying to break them up, and I think he got hit more than the ones doing the actual fighting.  Group leader ended up tackling one of the men to the ground, while some other people pulled the other one away.  After a while, the group leader let the one man up off the floor, and he went right back after the other guy.  It took about 5 or 6 men to hold him back. 

I never did find out what started it, but both of them ended up getting fired.  When Production Superintendent walked them out, half the employees followed out into the parking lot.  I didn't.  Later, I asked the third shift group leader if he was OK.  He said he was, he was just tired.  Holding that guy down was a workout, because he just wouldn't stop. 

And that was my excitement for the day, unless you want to hear how I smashed my finger getting a new pair of gloves out of the PPE machine, then dropped a c-clamp right on top of my foot.  No?  I didn't think so.

How about we talk about fall? 

I was trying to plan some sort of fall decoration for my front porch.  I knew I wanted to get one of those mini fake hay bales, but two times I went to the store to get one, and two times I spent $100 and walked out without the fake hay. I finally remembered to get one, when I added it to my shopping list.  Right now, I just have my Chrysanthemums sitting on it.  I haven't decided what to do with it.  I think maybe I want to put a pumpkin or something like that on it.


I'd thought I would get my fall decorations out this past weekend, but after mowing the entire yard, including the part behind the fence, my sinuses reminded me that I am still very allergic to grass.  So, Sunday, I just sat and watched football.

This was not a good football weekend.  Not good at all.  LSU got trounced by Miss St.   I'm not sure what is going on down there in Baton Rouge, but they played like they had no spirit whatsoever.  Like they didn't even want to be there. 

Sunday, the Cowboys weren't much better.  They had me wondering for a moment if some high school kids had put on Cowboys uniforms and were running around out there.  Seriously, they looked like they'd forgotten how to play football. 

Texas, on the other hand, played like they had nothing to lose.  They still lost, in double overtime, but they put on a good show. 

Speaking of a good show, my spider lilies are putting one on in my back yard. 




The sad news is, the earliest blooms have already started dying back.  Soon, they'll be all gone. 

When I got home, I found this in my car port.  


It is a woolly bear.  Normally, they are black on the head and butt, and brown in the middle.  Folklore says that the less brown they have, the harsher the winter will be.  You can see what color this one is.

I guess I'd better get busy cutting up all that firewood in my back yard.

No comments: