Tuesday, September 13, 2016

One Year, Eight Years

Last night was another one of those tossing and turning, too hot, too cold, mostly sleepless nights.   Then I had to get up and go to work.  No, we didn't get another unexpected day off, today.  Maybe it was the sleepless night, or the memories associated with this day, but I've been in a contemplative mood this evening.  Thinking...remembering...

One year ago today, I finished cleaning out my trailer house, and closed the door for the last time.  It was a bittersweet moment.  Excited to be starting a new chapter of my life.  A bit sad to leave behind the memories.  As I wrote that day:

I stood in the living room for a moment, and listened to the memories whispering from the walls.  I took a deep breath and walked out, closing the door on that chapter of my life and opening the door to a new chapter, softly singing all the while.

I know where I'm going
Do you want to come too?
Got my reservation
And I got one for you... 

Be sure and click the link above and read the whole thing.



Eight years ago today, Hurricane Ike hit the Texas Gulf Coast.  Even though I wasn't there, that was still my town.  Still my home.  The day Ike hit, I wrote this:

While my Saturday Sky looked like this


there were others who were not so fortunate on this day.  This is what they had looming over them:


Hurricane Ike, as seen from the International Space Station.


Ike roared ashore around 2 AM this morning, leaving a trail of desolation in his wake.  Downtown Houston looked as if a bomb had gone off.



Windows were blown out all over the city, and debris was scattered everywhere.  Bits of people's homes, tossed like leaves on the wind.



I wouldn't mind helping these guys...not at all.


Bits of people's lives, scattered carelessly like toys littering a child's playroom.



Why yes, that is someone's sofa in the middle of the highway.


The awesome power of the storm showed no respect for the living or the dead.


While Ike may not have been the strongest storm in terms of wind speed, the sheer size of this monster--almost as big as Texas itself--made it a force to be reckoned with.  Destruction is widespread, but so far, I've only heard of two deaths from the storm.

Most of that area experienced major flooding.  My mother and brother went out to my aunt and uncle's house--who as I mentioned before came here--and got trapped by rising water.  One of my cousin's in-laws went in with a boat and got them, but I don't know where he took them.  I haven't heard specifically about any of my other family areas, but I'm sure they are ok.  I would have heard if they weren't.

-----------------------------

Back to today...That seems like so long ago, but at the same time, it seems like only yesterday.  Thank you for indulging me my memories.  I promise not to be so maudlin in the future.

No comments: