Friday, September 23, 2016

The Best Laid Plans

My friend and I had planned on getting up this morning and going to the Memphis Zoo.  As often happens, those plans went the way of the dodo.  She sent me a text last night saying that she had a personal issue come up that she really needed to take care of today, so she wouldn't be able to come with me.

Since she wasn't going to get to go, and since it was still supposed to get up into the mid 90s, I decided not to go either.  Instead, I worked on my mantle some more.  I finally got brave and just pulled the whole thing off.


I felt a few moments of what have I done panic, but took a few deep breaths and told myself, "Self, you can do this."    It was just held in place with a few nails.  I'm thinking I might run into town tomorrow after work and get some long screws to put it back up with.  Before I do that, I need to run some drywall mud along that wall.

Oh, guess what I found behind the bricks when I pulled the mantle off?  Go on, guess.  Can't?  I'll tell you.  Paneling.  Seriously.  They just stacked the bricks up in front of the wood paneling.  Maybe one day, I'll have the funds to pull it all down and get it done right, but for now, it's just going to have to stay that way.

Once I got the pieces off, I laid them down on the floor and was finally able to get that last bit of paint off the underside.


That done, I got out my wood putty and patched the nail holes and a few gouges.  Now, it's ready to stain.  Well, except for letting the putty dry 24 hours and sanding it smooth.  Then it'll be ready to stain.  I might get to that Sunday afternoon.

In the midst of all that, I finished running the caulk around my bathroom door.  I just need to let it cure and sand it smooth, and it'll be ready to paint.  I'm just chugging right along on this here house.

No comments: