Sunday, September 04, 2016

Almost There


Remember when I said that Wednesday felt like Saturday, and Thursday felt like Friday?  Well, yesterday felt like Sunday, and today feels like Saturday again, because there is college football on TV.  I have a feeling that by tomorrow, I will be totally lost, and have no idea what day it is.

Speaking of college football, Navy won handily, even though starting QB Tago Smith left in the second quarter with a knee injury.  The funny thing is, since he was out for the rest of the game, the second string QB played, but they didn't have a backup for him.  They had to go get someone out of the stands to suit up to be the back up QB.  By the fourth quarter, Navy was so far ahead, he actually got to play most of the quarter.

As for LSU, it looks like it's going to be a long season...

Friday after work, the plant gave us some Omaha Steaks filet mignons.


Can you believe, free steaks, and some people were complaining that they were so small.  I swanee, if they gave us half a cow, these people would gripe that they didn't give us the whole herd.  Entitlement mentality is everywhere.  Never turn your nose up at a gift, especially if it's free food.

Anyway, I got mine out to vacuum seal them, and discovered that they were already vacuum sealed.


I cooked one yesterday on my George Foreman grill because I didn't want to drag my charcoal grill out of the shed.  In retrospect, I probably should have.  It was good, but could have been better.

I've spent most of the last two days working on my mantle.  I did this much Friday after work.


By the time I sat down to watch Texas vs. Notre Dame, I had all but a little bit in the corner stripped.


The best part is, I finally got that piece of metal off the bottom.  I call it the heat shield.


I can strip the paint off of it, and stain the board underneath.  I think when I put it back, I'll just leave it plain metal.  You can't really see it anyway.

One thing I'd been concerned about was how to get this bit of paint out of the space between the mantle and the moulding.


No matter how hard I pushed the sandpaper into that crack, I couldn't seem to get that last little bit of paint out.  However, as I continued stripping the molding, I kept finding damage.   Splits,


gouges,


and some spots where I let the belt sander get away from me.  Oops.


Now, I'm thinking about just replacing the whole thing.  I have to go into town Tuesday anyway.  I may just run by True Value (the only hardware store in town) and see what they have.   I'll need to get a nail gun and some finishing nails, too.  I've been meaning to get one anyway, because I have some rooms that don't have crown moulding or baseboards.

Tonight, we got to meet Bevo XV.  He's still a yearling, but he's going to be a stunner when he grows up.


Finally, I've been on a Matt Redman kick lately.  This is my new favorite (after King Of My Soul and 10,000 Reasons).




I encourage you to check out some of his other songs, too.  He's got some good ones.






No comments: