Friday, October 31, 2014

Yehaw!!

My cable is fixed!

The cable guy showed up right after 9:00 AM.  He was supposed to call before he came, but he didn't.  Since he didn't call, I didn't have the dogs shut up, so he had to run the gauntlet of dogs through the yard.  I'm not worried about mine.  I'm about 99% sure they wouldn't bite him (all dogs can bite, and you can never be 100% sure how they will react to someone; responsible dog owners know this), but when the neighbor's gigantic chocolate lab showed up, it gave us both a moment of pause.  He's pretty friendly, but since he isn't mine...well, you know.

I won't go into all the details, but basically what it was is that I had the economy cable package before Monday.  What they do is put some sort of a damper (he called it a lifeline) on your cable down at the box on the corner.  That blocks the channels you aren't supposed to be getting with the cheap service.  When I upgraded Monday, they should have sent someone out to remove the lifeline, but apparently not one of the three reps I talked to knew that.  Yes, I did tell all three of them that I'd just upgraded from economy.  The tech seemed annoyed that they didn't figure that out.  "They should have known to take that off," he said. 

Nevertheless, it's fixed now, and I can watch The Walking Dead with the rest of you!   And football!  I get both ESPN and SEC Network now! 

A very nice thing happened this week.  Remember the baby shower we had at work last Thursday?  Well, when I got to work Tuesday (we didn't work Monday), one of the three ladies we'd brought gifts for had actually written thank you notes.  


Not only that, Wednesday I received another thank you note from someone I'd sent some leftover sock yarn to.  I thought that was really sweet.  Not many people write thank you notes any more.  I must admit that I'm terrible about it myself.  It's not something my mother enforced when we were kids, and I didn't get into the habit of it.  I never know what to say, and I make too big of a deal about it.  Then I end up just not writing them.  A bit not good, yeah...

But this is good.  While I was waiting on the cable guy to fix my cable, I finished the hat I was working on.  


It's a full size stocking hat with a 96 stitch cast on.   The yarn is Plymouth Encore.  No color name, just a number -- 1405.   I had enough yarn to cast on another, albeit smaller hat. 


This one will be an infant/toddler size hat with a 72 stitch cast on.  I might have enough left for a pom pom.  We shall see. 

Well, today is Halloween and I forgot to wear my Great Pumpkin socks.


I thought about it this morning, then the cable guy showed up, and that thought went the way of the dodo.  Oh, well, I guess they'll be twice as fresh for next year.  So I'll just leave you with my traditional Halloween prayer:

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long legged beasties
And things that go bump in the night
May the Good Lord deliver us.


Oh, wait, that's no ghouly.  That's just my group leader, Fernando.  He's not scary at all.  (Although he might get a little scary if he ever finds out I took that picture, so don't tell him, OK?)

Insert winky face icon of your choice here. 

No comments: