Monday, October 27, 2014

A Very Long Weekend

When they told us that we were going to be off Friday and Monday this weekend, I said I wasn't going to spend all four days sitting in front of the TV.  I was going to get up, get out of the house, and do something.  I didn't know what I was going to do, but I was going to do something.  So, what did I do?  I spent all four days sitting in front of the TV. 

Well, OK, I did do my grocery shopping and paid bills.  And I did laundry.  And I finally made that phone call I've been putting off for a week.  Yes, I waited until the last day, but I finally made it.  More about that later.

While I was doing all of that sitting in front of the TV, I started -- and finished-- this scarf.

It is made from Red Heart Supersaver in the colors Old Rose and Gumdrop.  I like the result, but changing colors every few rows is a bit of a pain.

It was such a pain that instead of warping the loom again, I cast on another hat.

This yarn is Plymouth Encore.  I don't see a color name, just a number, and that number is 1405.  I bought this out of the clearance bin up at Hank Of Yarn a while back. It's been marinating in my stash ever since.  I always knew I wanted to knit hats out of it, and I am finally working on them.  I ought to be able to get two hats out of it. 

Now, about that phone call...

When I got my house phone cut off last week, it freed up enough money to upgrade my cable service.  That isn't something you can do on the website, so I had to call the local office.  Today, I finally called them, but I'm not getting all the channels I'm supposed to be getting.  Seems the problem is that about a month ago, the cable company finally started making the switch to all digital -- like two years after the government mandated it.  In order to make the switch, all customers have to get a digital converter box for each TV in the house.

Since I was planning on getting another TV for the bedroom this Christmas when they put all the electronics on sale, I went ahead and ordered two boxes.  Apparently, that was the wrong thing to do.  The CS rep said that because I had two boxes, but only had one hooked up, I was confusing the signal, and that's why I'm not getting all my channels.  Yeah, sounds like a bit of malarky to me, too.

She told me to bring the second box back to the cable office and they would remove it from my account.  That should solve the problem.   If not, they'll have to send a tech out.  OK, then...

I headed out to take the box back, but when I got to my car, I saw one of my tires was low.  I stopped at the gas station to air it up, but I could still hear the air hissing out of my valve stem when I was done.  OK, then, I had to get that fixed, and it took just a little bit of priority over the cable box.  In to Wal-mart I went.

I told them where it was leaking, and since I'd bought the road hazards warranty, they fixed it at no charge to me.  They got it fixed pretty quickly, but they didn't call me.  Or they did and I didn't hear it, so I spent about an hour wandering around the store that I didn't need to. 

Wandering around the store is a dangerous thing.

 It's not a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200 Shot Range Model Air Rifle, but it'll do.

By the time I got out of Wal-Mart, the cable office was closed, so I'll have to take care of that tomorrow after work.  Speaking of work, it's going to be another short week, due to inventory.  Those who aren't working inventory will only get two days this week.  Those of us who are working will get two and a half.

But, hey, at least we still have a job. 

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails