Sunday, May 04, 2014

Weekend Catch-up

Well, I say "catch up", but there's really not a whole lot to catch up on.   Work, TV, bed, work, TV, bed...and so it goes.

Don't envy me my exciting life. 

Friday, being pay day, is always busy, but thankfully mayhem decided to stick to Thor's Day.  Work went pretty well.  Busy, but not mayhemic.  Is that even a word?  It is now.

Saturday, I'd thought about going fishing after work, but when I got home, I remembered it was Derby day.  So, I stayed home and watched the Kentucky Derby, even though I don't have a Derby Hat.  That was something my dad and I did every year-- watch the Kentucky Derby.  But we didn't wear hats. 

The most exciting thing that happened was I finally finished this scarf, and after only six months OTN*: 


It turned out quite nice, if you ask me.   I'm also getting really close to finishing the second Jaywalker:


We won't mention how long I've been working on this pair of socks.  The important thing is, it might finally get finished. 

In gardening news, my little bluebonnets are coming along. 


They won't bloom this year.  Bluebonnets bloom the second year. 

There is this other blog I read from time to time.  The blog author lives in Texas, but you can tell she's not a native.  She repeatedly refers to bluebonnets as "wildflowers".  No true Texan would ever do that. 

Moving right along...

My little petunia has started to bloom. 


And I've started my annual battle to convince the local insect life that I did not just plant them a whole bed of salad. 


I've tried some different kinds of insect spray, but they only kill what's there when you spray it.  It doesn't repel insects.  What I've found works best is giving the plants a daily misting of an extremely diluted dish washing liquid.  I mean like 1 teaspoon of dish washing liquid in a quart of water. 

It's diluted enough that you don't have to rinse it off, and I guess the bugs don't like the taste.  It does seem to help. 

It's a never ending battle, but if I want a flower bed, it's one I've got to fight.


*OTN: on the needles, for all you non-knitting folk.

No comments: