Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Chats On The Farmhouse Porch

Patrice has requested that we move the chats to Wednesdays, so next week, be sure to note the change in date.

We will still be chatting on the farmhouse porch, though, so let's get to it.


1.  Do you like beans? (the dried bean variety) What do you like them in? 

No, not really.  I've never been a big bean aficionado.   I do like baked beans and beanie weenies every now and again, but other than that, I don't eat them that often.  

2.  Does your house have enough storage? 

No.  I live in a trailer house, and they have no storage whatsoever.   The bright side of that is that it keeps me from accumulating too much junk, because I have no place to put it.  The downside is, there isn't anywhere to store the holiday decorations, so they're all in boxes in my bedroom. 

3.  Do you have any childhood memories of a store?

Definitely.  There was a store in my hometown called Farmer's Mercantile.  It opened in 1928, and is still in business today. You could find anything in the world in Farmer's Mercantile--from cattle feed, to sausage stuffers, to saddles. From Western wear to kerosine. If you wanted anything like rope or chain, Farmer's Mercantile was where you went.  At times, they'd even have chicks or ducklings for sale.  Or baby rabbits.  Maybe even puppies and kittens. 

The thing that stands out most in my memory is the smell. The store was in an old building with real wood floors. Not the lacquer over cement like wood floors are made today, but real, solid wood. Beautiful architecture, and having that slightly musty smell old buildings always seem to have.

And there was the feed. Sweet feed for cattle and horses. Rabbit feed. Chicken feed. Dog and cat food.  Kerosene. Lamp Oil. Tung oil. Furniture polish. Saddle soap. The saddles themselves. New boots.  All combined to give off an aroma not found anywhere else.  One of these days, I'm going to make it back home, and you can bet your boots, I'm going to go back. 

4.  Do you ever shop at a farmers market? 

 No.  They have one here on Saturday mornings, but we're always working Saturdays during the summer, so I never get to go. 

5.  Do you still have your wisdom teeth?Are you wise? :) :) :) 

I've had my bottom two wisdom teeth cut out, and no I'm not wise.  

Well, that's about all we have for today.  Don't forget to join us next week on Wednesday. 

No comments: