Thursday, October 17, 2013

Look At The Snowflakes

I had the strangest dream last night.

Yes, me!  Stop laughing now.  Seriously.  Stop.

I had the strangest dream last night.  I was in a fabric store in Houston, Texas, looking for Charlie Brown fabric.  I wanted to make work shirts out of it.

While I was perusing the fabrics, looking for Peanuts patterns, it suddenly started to snow.  The door of the shop was open, and big old snowflakes were drifting inside.  These were some massively big snowflakes, like dinner plate size.


And nobody seemed to notice.


I caught one.  A big, gorgeous ice crystal and carried it around the store trying to get people to look at it before it melted away, but they all ignored me.


Hunched over their tablets and smartphones, no one could take the time to admire this bit of intricate fragility, and I wept for them as it melted in my hand and became nothing more than a damp spot on the floor.


Later, after I'd woken up and thought about it, my dream really is a reflection of what our lives have become.  We sit and stare at the TV or computer, hunched over our tablets and smartphones and miss the beauty in the world around us.  We miss living.  We miss life.

Snowflakes gently fall around us and melt away, and we never even notice. 


*Images courtesy of SnowCrystals.com

No comments: