Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Same Song, Second Verse

Well, guess what.  It happened again!

Around 10:45, the power went out at work again.  This time, they just sent everyone home right away.   So I got a half day off.  I came home and watched some more Survivor and finished Cody's hat.


I'm still deciding if I want to put a pom pom on the top.  I've got some gold yarn that will match pretty closely.

I think I kinda freaked out Group Leader Fernando.  He and another guy were trying to open up a spool of wire. It had one of those banding tapes around it,  and they couldn't get it off.

Fernando turns to me and asks me if I had a pocket knife.  When I said yes, he kind of gave me an incredulous look, followed by an even more incredulous look when I pulled it out of my pocket and handed it to him.


He gave it to the other guy, then turned around and said, "What I want to know is, what is a woman doing with a pocket knife."

I shrugged and replied, "Why wouldn't a woman have a pocket knife?  What if I needed to cut some tape or something?"


But then I asked him, "What I want to know is, there are two men over there.  Why don't either of you have a pocket knife?  Am I going to have to check your man card?"

He just laughed and that was the end of our conversation.

He doesn't really know me very well.  If he did, he'd know that I've always been somewhat of a tomboy-- even today.  I grew up running the woods of Southeast Texas.

Two things I learned to carry with me any time I headed out: a knife (pocket or hunting) and a lighter.

You know, just in case.

Not that I ever went somewhere that there was a real danger of getting lost, but it was a good habit to get in to.  I stopped carrying the lighter sometime during my Navy days, but still carry a pocket knife.

You know, just in case.

No comments: