Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Chats On The Farmhouse Porch

After I went to bed last night, I researched haiku. 

Yes, you read that right.  I researched haiku on my phone from the comfort of my bed.  Thanks to capitalism, I have the technology to do that. 

Traditional Japanese haiku is a verse with 17 syllables, usually arranged in three lines of 5-7-5 syllables, and is primarily descriptive.  In modern times, though, the work haiku has a much looser interpretation to it.  I've seen some that have 3-5-3 syllables, and others that have 4-6-5.  Seems these days, any three line poem is called a haiku. 

I'm going to stick with the more traditional form myself.  I found an old one I wrote a couple of years ago, and posted it on my poetry blog.  (Yes, it is a private blog, but if you are interested, I will send you an invitation.  I just need a gmail address.)

Today at work, around 10:30, something tripped and all the machines lost power.  We still had lights, but nothing else worked-- no machines, no computers, nothing-----except for Vanessa and my brazing stand.  We were the only ones in the plant who still had power. 

After giving us an extra long lunch, the powers that be finally decided that they wouldn't be able to get everything working again, so they sent us all home.  Except Vanessa and me.  We stayed until we ran out of work, which was around 1:00. 

I actually kind of like being there when nobody else is around.  I can just work without everyone worrying me to death. 

Then I came home and watched Survivor reruns on Amazon Prime.  I've only seen the two most recent seasons, so it's all new to me.

Now, without further ado, let's get to this week's chat:

Everyday Ruralty


1.  Bacon or sausage? If vegetarian, what do you have for breakfast? 

 Both.  I love both, but I guess if I had to choose just one, it would be bacon.

2.  Do you take time to "smell the roses"? 

 I try to.  It has gotten easier now that the nest is empty.  My biggest barrier is my own inertia.  Once the behind hits the chair, it's tough to get it back out again.

3.  What's your favorite stone fruit? (Peaches,nectarines,plums, apricots, and cherries are i n the stone fruit family.) 

Peaches, by far.  I guess cherries would be second.

 4.  What is the thing people notice most about your personality? ( quiet- outgoing- polite-funny-etc.) 

 I guess it's that I'm quiet and rather reserved. 

5.   Is there a hobby that you have wanted to do, but haven't started yet?

Painting.  I love to watch the old Bob Ross episodes on PBS, and I'd love to try that style of painting.  One of these days, I'll do it.  Right now, I've got too many half knit projects going on to start some other hobby.


Thanks for joining me for our little chat this week.  Feel free to drop in anytime. 

No comments: