Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Chats On The Farmhouse Porch

Congratulations to Patrice on the 100th Chat!

I haven't been going that long. I joined in somewhere in the late 70s, but I've sure enjoyed chatting with everyone these last few months.  So, without further ado, let's jump right in to this week's chat.


Everyday Ruralty


1.  What's the best advice anyone ever gave you? 

Don't squat with yer spurs on.

Seriously, people tend not to give me advice, and if they do, it's usually bad advice.  Like the time someone told me that if I didn't start potty training my son by the time he was a year old, he'd never get the hang of it.  Funny, he's a sophomore in college now, and he's NOT still wearing a diaper.  Another person told me that if I didn't put him in a walker, he'd never learn to walk.  Funny, he walked at 11 months-- right at the average age. 

I guess the best advice I've ever heard, though it wasn't given to me directly, has been attributed to Dr. James Dobson.  It is, "Don't marry the person you think you can live with;  marry the person you think you can't live without."  That is why I am still single.  Well, divorced.  I didn't heed that advice the first time.  I knew I didn't really love my now ex husband.  I knew it wouldn't last.  But I thought it would be my only chance to ever get married.  Oh, I'd had offers, before and since.  I knew, though, that I didn't want to marry any of those other men.  I knew I didn't want to live with them for the rest of my life.  My ex was the one I thought I could maybe make a go of it with.

Wrong.   

We didn't even make it to our first anniversary.  I've learned my lesson now.  I can't just go and be with someone I don't really love just to say I'm with someone.  I'd rather be by myself than to not be with the right man. 


2.  Do you have houseplants?

Yes.  I have a plant-- I don't even know what it is-- that I got from my daddy's funeral.  I can't believe that it's still around 18 years later.  I also have two Christmas cacti that Cody got me one year as a birthday present.  Well, he got me one, and I rooted the other from a broken off piece of that one.

Which reminds me, I need to go water them, or I might not have them much longer.

3.  Do mosquitoes bother you or leave you alone? 

They tend to leave me alone here where I live now.  When I lived in SouthEast Texas, they ate me alive, but I seldom get bites here in Mississippi.  Gnats, now, are another story.

4.  What's your favorite charity? If you have one. 

The Salvation Army.   It's the only one I donate to regularly.


5.  Do you like mint? Which variety is your favorite? 

Yes.  I'm not sure I have a favorite variety.  I like them all except spearmint.  I can't stand spearmint.  


Well, that's it for this week's chat.  I hope you've enjoyed your stay here.  I will be visiting you place soon.  

No comments: