Wednesday, August 05, 2009

No Post

My heart is still heavy over the loss of my friend Bubba. He was the primary topic of conversation today at work among those who were blessed enough to have known him. And it was a blessing knowing him. Yeah, he had his problems, but I don't think anyone who met him could walk away and not be changed forever. He was a good person. He had a good heart.

One of my co-workers who had been close to him asked me if I ever thought about Bubba. "Oh, all the time," I had to say. Maybe not every single day, but he was never far from my mind. I've spend most of today remembering conversations we'd had, or jokes we'd told one another, or the time I snuck up behind him and kept shutting his brazing torch off and how he'd cussed up a blue streak until he figured out it was me, or even the (rare) arguments we had gotten into.

I could talk to Bubba. I can't say that about just anybody. I could really talk to him, about deep and profound subjects. He was my go to guy when I wanted to know something about men. I could ask him, "Why do men...." whatever, and he would explain in a way that made sense. Most of what I know about men, I learned from Bubba.

I think Vanessa said it best when she said, "That made my little heart hurt."

So, it just doesn't seem quite right to be talking about turning sock heels, or shopping for school supplies, or even Cody's first fillings.

Not while my little heart still hurts.

.

1 comment:

Opal said...

i hope you feel that you can take all the time you need to grieve. if it's what you need then it's what you need. plain and simple.