Friday, August 14, 2009

Did I Really Swatch?

Sure I did! I wanted to check my gauge, since I had never knit with this particular brand of yarn before. I wanted to make sure I was still getting 8 stitches per inch.

Yeah, right. The ugly truth comes out...

I've been so excited about the start of football --ok, it's preseason, but it's still football--that I hadn't knit a stitch in two days. Football was all I could think about. And finally, it was here. I was watching the Cowboys/Raiders game last night. Kickoff wasn't until 9 PM central (7 PM Oakland time), and it lasted until well after midnight. At halftime, I decided to take my laptop and finish watching the game in bed. So I did.

I was all snuggled down in bed, watching the game, when I felt the urge to knit something. Problem was, I'd left my Falling In Love socks in the living room, and I just didn't want to get back out of bed to go get them. Fortunately, I had a ball of yarn and some DPNs on my nightstand. I even had a pattern for a pair of socks I wanted to knit. Buuuut, I didn't want to get back out of bed and go wind it.

So, I cast on 25 stitches and knit about two inches, just for something to do. I tried to convince myself I was being noble and checking gauge, but we both know better than that, now don't we?

Like I said, the game lasted until well after midnight, and the only reason I was able to stay up and watch it was because we'd had today off at work. Once I got Cody up and off to school (with a stomach full of sausage gravy, I might add) I went back to bed and slept until 10:00. When I got up, I wound my yarn and cast on my sock for real. Here it is:

Pattern: Bandwagon Socks
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Sockin' Sox Color 002
Needles: Knitpicks Nickle plated DPNs 2.75mm

I'm still working on the Falling In Love socks, too. And the shawl. And the scarf. And the other scarf...gee, I really need to do a WIP update, don't I?

But for now, I'm gonna go find another ball game to watch.

4 comments:

chuckieknits said...

sounds like a nice, contentment-filled evening! Didn't Elizabeth Zimmermann say something to the effect of, "if it's not the size you intended, it's sure to fit somebody"--indicating that she, like we, did not always check gauge? so, are the Cowboys up to snuff? If I watched football, they'd be my favorite team to watch..

Becky G said...

Thanks, Ann. I agree with EZ. It's bound to fit somebody!

It was just a preseason game, so I didn't expect too much. The first team looked sharp, but they only played two series. The second and third team didn't look so good, but they have a lot of rookies on them. This was their first NFL game, and I saw a lot of inexperience on the field. Some of them just seemed overwhelmed with it all. I think they'll get better, though, with more experience.

Kristen said...

This is gorgeous, too! I have some yarn that color. I guess I have a lot of yarn, but not as much sock yarn as some!!!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Kristen! Yep, I think Tammy beats all of us with the sock yarn!