Sunday, April 19, 2009

Adventures In Blocking

When blocking a lace project--or any project for that matter--the first thing to do is to give the item a bath.

Next, we rinse the item, then soak it in diluted vinegar to help set the dye so it won't fade as badly.

After rinsing one final time, we roll the project in a towel and jump up and down on it to get excess water out. Some people like to put theirs through the spin cycle of the washing machine. I do that sometimes, when the washer is not otherwise occupied.

Next, the fun begins. Pinning it out.

And pinning, and pinning , and pinning...

Finally we're done!

Please ignore the state of my carpet. That's what I do, and it works for me. The nice thing about these blocking mats is that I can pick the whole thing up and lean it against the wall--or in this case the dresser--to get it out of the way. Please ignore the state of the top of my dresser. That's what I do, and --well, you know.

After several hours of drying time, we unpin the project, and voila! A beautiful lace scarf:


Branching Out #2. Completed.

Next up I think will be Queen Anne's Lace. Off to finish my socks so I can get started.

.

5 comments:

Opal said...

the scarf is just lovely! aren't those mats just the best?

Sus said...

The scarf looks GREAT!! Congrats on another awesome project!

Becky G said...

Thanks Opal. Yes they are. Thanks for the tip.

Sus, thanks!

Patch said...

I remember seeing your link to those blocks but it's nice to see a photo of them in use. Very clever!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Patch.