Sunday, February 08, 2009

Blankie

After doing some sock yarn mitered squares for the Machosauce afghan project, I decided I'd start a blanket of my own. I'd been wanting to do one for a long time, but Ifelt I just didn't have enough scraps of sock yarn. But I decided to go ahead and start, and I'd just work on it as I got yarn. I've also joined the BlankieMania group on Ravelry, and will probably sign up for a couple of the bouncing bag swaps.

Anyway, I mentioned in the comments to that first post how much I hated sewing things together. That's probably got some of you wondering how I'm going to make an entire blanket out of three inch mitered squares without sewing any of them together. I'll tell you...

Magic.

No, seriously. It's magic. It's called picking up stitches.

What I do is to pick up stitches along one side of a completed square, then pick up more stitches along one side of another completed square

and begin knitting as usual.


Soon I have a completed third square, all joined in and not a seam sewn anywhere.

I told you. Magic. I just keep picking up stitches and knitting squares, and soon a blankie begins to take shape.

(Please ignore the state of my carpet.)

Unfortunately, this is as far as the blankie is going until I get some more bits of sock yarn. For now, I'll occupy myself by weaving in yarn ends.

And thinking about shampooing my carpet.



5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

The squares look fun, but still, you have to put them together.

Anonymous said...

That's really cool how they all link up like that. Right now, it kinda reminds me of those gum-wrapper-chains...did y'all ever make those too?

Becky G said...

Lou, but at least I don't have to SEW them together.

Patch, yes I remember making gum wrapper chains, and also chains with clover blooms.

Sus said...

Cool!!! Also, wow. This blanket is going to take a long time. :)

Becky G said...

Sus, yes it will. But I've signed up for some Ravelry swaps, and there is a lady on line who sells blankie kits, which consist of a variety of 5g balls of sock yarns. I just ordered the 50 ball kit, for $38, including shipping. Very fair for 250g of sock yarn.