Monday, February 09, 2009

Calliope Would Be Pleased

In my blogging journey over the last three years, I've learned one thing. Calliope doesn't like keyboards. It's true. My writing muse does not like keyboards. She almost never speaks to me when I'm sitting in front of my computer. Kinda makes blogging a bit difficult.

Calliope most often speaks to me while I'm at work. She whispers to me most when I am far away from the keyboard. The problem is, by the time I get home and sat down at the computer, what she has spoken to me has long since vanished from conscious thought.

Calliope likes pen and paper. Long and lovely thoughts she whispers to me when I have pen and paper in my hand. I have taken to carrying a small notebook to work with me, to jot down these musings.

I knew the day would come, and it finally happened. I filled up my first notebook. It's a bittersweet moment. If you are any sort of writer, even a poor one like me, you know that a notebook is more than just a bunch of paper stuck together. It becomes, in a way, an extension of your heart. A friend.

The old friend that I had written in for nearly a year finally had to give way to a new acquaintance. Somehow, it is only fitting that my last thoughts jotted down in my old notebook is a post about Bob Hayes

and the first ones written into my new notebook is a post about Terrell Owens.

Calliope would be pleased.

6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

There is just something about putting pen to paper. I love that, but the computer has been good to me and made me more accountable.

Anonymous said...

Same here. No better feeling than writing (or receiving) a hand-written card or letter on actual paper. But then again, my typing is more legible than my longhand so...

Becky, this is JMHO, worth what ya paid for it, but I think anyone who can make an interesting post about passing the torch from one wire-bound notebook to the next, can justifiably call themselves a Writer.

Becky G said...

Lou, I guess I'm just the opposite. I've got at least four posts I want to put up on the blog, but the thought of typing them out is putting me off.

Patti, thanks! I'm honored that you think my drivel is interesting.

Opal said...

i feel the same way about my notebooks, only they're not for blogging. i use them for private journals. even though i doubt anyone will ever want to read them, i keep each one. they're a piece of me.

Sus said...

I love, love, love the sentence in your notebook -- "Chris Collinsworth is an idiot..." !!!

Becky G said...

Opal, I'm glad you understand. A notebook is like a best friend that you can tell anything to, and know that you won't be judged.

Sus, you and me both, sister! An even bigger idiot is whoever though that he'd be good on TV!