Thursday, February 05, 2009

Trade Off

So, a couple of years ago, when I was first diagnosed allergic to my cat, I was supposed to get rid of her, but I didn't. Instead, I kept her confined to a single room in the house.


That worked out well for a while. My allergies seemed manageable, and the cat seemed content. However, this year, there have been a lot of mice getting into my house. I mean a lot. I tried setting traps. I tried putting out poisons. I tried leaving freshly shed snake skins in strategic locations around the house. All to no avail.

So last week, I once again gave the cat the free run of the house. Even if she didn't kill any, just her presence might be a deterrent. It seems to be working. I've noticed a significant decrease in mouse activity. But it comes with a trade-off. I've also noticed a significant increase in allergy activity.

So there's the rub...do I want tired, burning eyes and bloody sinuses, or mouse turds everywhere? No question. I'll take the allergy symptoms.

It's worth it.

.

3 comments:

Opal said...

here's to the power of felines!!

Michele said...

I have two cats and they have gotten their fair share of mice. My oldest cat, Bagheera, caught a bat one day. Cats are great to have around.

My daughter is allergic to rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters but not cats. Being in the same room with a guinea pig will set off her asthma and she will be sick for a week.

Michele said...

I have two cats and they have gotten their fair share of mice. My oldest cat, Bagheera, caught a bat one day. Cats are great to have around.

My daughter is allergic to rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters but not cats. Being in the same room with a guinea pig will set off her asthma and she will be sick for a week.