Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Karate

Sensei's older daughter is pregnant. Last night, her mother had to take her to the hospital. Sensei didn't say what was going on, and I didn't pry. He stayed at the dojo, but was tasked with watching his two youngest children and his grandson. They are from 3-6 years old. That means that, though he popped in and out, I had the adult class to myself for the most part.

The first half consisted of doing a few basics to warm up, then we went over all of our kata. I split the class into two groups--higher ranks and lower ranks. I had each group come out in turn and do kata--up to the highest one they knew.

After a quick break, Barrett took the majority of the class and worked with them on their next kata--which was niahanchi. Sensei took two of the brown belts into the back and worked on stuff with them, while I had the rest of the class.

"Oh, no!" I said to sensei, "you're leaving me with The Mouth!" Sensei kind of laughed, and I said, "Maybe Mrs. W can deal with The Mouth, that way I won't have to. She can teach him the first part of his next kata."

"No," sensei replied. "I want one of us to teach. That way we'll know that the students are being taught correctly." Now, he doesn't mean to say that the way she does things is wrong, but we need to make sure our students are taught things the way we do them.

"What am I going to do with her, then...I know! I'll work with her on Urashi Bo and let Brad teach The Mouth the first part on seiunchin kata."

"That'll work," sensei agreed. So that's what we did. I went over and over Urashi Bo with Mrs. W, while supervising Brad and The Mouth at one end of the dojo and Cody working on his two highest kata at the other end. And that was class.

After class, I came home and took some Benadryl and went to bed. I hate taking Benadryl because, though it works wonders on allergic reactions, I feel groggy for about 12 hours after I've taken it. The poison Ivy is much better today. The rash is still there, but it isn't itching as much.

No pictures today. I spent this evening reinstalling my drivers on my computer. And watching Magnum P.I.

I had a weird dream the other night. I dreamed that the lady who bought my old trailer house called me up and wanted me to take her somewhere so she could get her hair done. So being the kindly person I am, I did so.

Strange dreams abound in my life...

3 comments:

Inquiries said...

The Mouth! LOL!

Silverstar said...

Also LOL @ at the nickname-"The Mouth" (Hopefully I don't have the same one at my dojo)

I've also been experiencing weird dreams and allergies, spring fever perhaps?

Becky G said...

I think there's one in every dojo!

Spring? For the allergies maybe, but strange dreams are a year round phenomenon in my life. If you'll do a blog search for dreams, you'll find some doozies that I've posted.