Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bed In Summer

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

--Robert Louis Stevenson

As a child, I used to protest having to go to bed before it was dark. I would stand in my crib, look out my window, and say, "Why do I have to go to bed? It's not dark yet!"

I didn't get it. I knew that sometimes, my parents would let me stay up until it was dark, but other times I had to go to bed while it was still light. I was too young to understand winter and summer, and the days being longer or shorter depending on the season.

Now that I am grown, I do understand the seasons. The days are getting longer. It won't be but a few more weeks until the sun is up later than I am. And though I'm an adult now, I will still look out my window and say,

"But it's not dark yet!"

Mostly Sunny





6 comments:

Inquiries said...

I am a night owl, it is always dark when I go to bed. Unless I am sick or VERY tired.

Becky G said...

So am I pretty safe in assuming that you don't have to get up at 5 AM?

Junk Diva said...

I stay up late in the summer, in winter I may turn in at 8. LOL. It's usually dark before we eat supper in the summer, so much to do.

Becky G said...

It's harder to want to go to bed early in summer. It's still daylight out. There's still work to do. But getting up at 5 AM kind of makes it a necessity.

mornin'lady said...

I am a lucky one, I can do with as little as 6 hrs sleep most often and thats a good thing cause bedtime at midnight in the summer is the norm for our house, but 6:00 am is my internal alarm! Sleeping in is 7:30, every once in a while when Hubby is out of town.
Try sleeping in the summer in AK! No sunsets all summer, we always put tinfoil on the windows in the kids rooms!

Becky G said...

Dawn, I wish I could get by on that little sleep. I need 7-8 hours or I'm no good. Getting up at 5 requires I be in bed no later than 9, which doesn't always happen.

If left to my own internal clock, I would sleep from midnight to 8 AM.