Saturday, April 27, 2024

Lazy Saturday

Today has been a totally lazy day.  It started when I slept in until 6:00, and after getting up at 2:30 all week, it felt wonderful.  I almost laid in bed even longer, but then I remembered, I have to check the sun!  

See, when I got my new raised bed, the plan had been to put it here on the East side of the carport. 


But I'd wanted to check and see how much sun this spot gets before filling the bed with dirt.  Good thing I did, too, because it doesn't get nearly as much sun as I thought it would.  

Even though the Supervisor approved of this location, it just wouldn't do for my plants. 


"Dis my spot now.  I'm not moving," she said.  


"Suit yourself," I said.  "I'm going to go get me some breakfast."  

"Breakfast?  I want some breakfast, too!"  said the supervisor and she jumped right out of the box. 

After breakfast, I moved the box to a spot behind the house where it gets a lot more sun. 


Confident I'd gotten the box in the right spot, I headed up to Lowe's to get some garden soil.  I'd checked on their app and found some Miracle Gro that was specifically blended for raised beds, and thought it'd be a whole lot easier than trying to mix soil.  Honestly, I wish I'd done that the first time.  

While I was up there, I checked their herb selection, then ran by Walmart on the way home -- the Walmart in Batesville, I mean -- to see if they had anything different than what our Walmart has.  They didn't, so I passed on buying plants and came on home.  

One of the things I did was to get out the old lawn mower to make sure I'd left enough room between the planter and the house, so while I had it out, I went ahead and mowed.  I was able to leave a huge patch of clover for the bees, 


along with some patches of my short yellow flowers, 


and my tall yellow flowers.  


Once the flowers have died back, I'll cut those spots, too, but for now, they stay.  I finished the back, but didn't do the front or the side yards.  I did them last week.  They're good for now.  I didn't fix the weedeater, either.  

Wait, what's wrong with the weedeater?  One of the gas lines broke.  I've bought a new one.  I just haven't gotten around to replacing the gas tank yet.  I don't really like weedeating anyway, so it probably won't get fixed any time soon.  I kind of wish I'd bought an electric weedeater again.   I had one before, and it was a lot lighter and had much less vibration.  It was not fun dragging all those extension cords around the yard, though.  

When I'd finished mowing and had cooled off a bit, I filled up my new raised bed and the first thing I did was to move the cilantro and rosemary into it. 


 I've got six more spots in this bed, so I messaged Cody and asked if he wanted me to grow any peppers or anything for him.  He said he's planted some cayenne and jalapenos, but they haven't grown, so I'm going to get some of those, and some sweet basil, too.   I might even get some catnip for the cat.  Or for tea...

I've got three spots left in my other box, the one that's in partial shade, so I'll have to look into getting something to put there.  I'm sorely tempted to pull up my peppermint and replace it.  I'd put it into a pot last year and don't think that was the right move.  Earlier this month, I moved it to the raised bed, but it's still struggling. 

Eh, it's still alive, so I'll probably just leave it and give it some time to recover.  If it dies, I'll get a new one, but as long as there's life, there's hope. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I've found Ray Bradbury Theater on Prime, and I have a hat to finish.  

Laters. 

No comments: