Monday, April 01, 2024

I Knew

I knew right away what kind of day it was going to be when I was at work, just a working away and I got a little peckish.  I reached into my cooler to get my breakfast....and it wasn't there.   Neither was my lunch.  Sigh...I'd forgotten to pack my lunch.  I had to get one of those overpriced sandwiches out of the machine, but at least I had something to eat.  

I'd planned on going into town after work to see about getting my car radio fixed, but I was just too wiped out.   I'm starting to feel that hike out at the nature preserve Saturday.   Plus, it being Monday.  I always feel a bit bad on Monday from getting up at 3:30 after being able to sleep as late as I want on Sunday.  I came home instead, and ate some leftovers from my Easter dinner, and I'm starting to feel a bit better, but I was really dragging there for a while.  

Which brings me to my next point, and that being that I made myself an Easter dinner yesterday, just like I said I wanted to.  Since I didn't find a reasonably priced ham, I opened one of the canned hams I have in my emergency storm prep stash and it was pretty good.   I also made myself some mashed potatoes and opened one of the jars of gravy I bought back before Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It was a nice little dinner for just me. 

I briefly thought about watching The Ten Commandments -- you know the one with Charlton Heston as Moses, because it's kind of an Easter tradition, but I didn't.  That movie is nearly 4 hours long, and I just don't have that long of an attention span any more.  So, instead, I watched an episode of Call The Midwife, and a couple of episodes of Doc Martin, and a few more things I don't really remember.  And I knit a hat while I was doing all that watching TV.  


This is one of those colors that just won't photograph accurately, and I don't know why.  It's actually more of a dusty teal color, and it's really pretty. 

In other news, I had to pull the garden cloches off of four of my sunflowers because they were smashing into the tops. 


Hopefully, we won't have any more frosts, but I'll have to keep an eye on the weather anyway, and try to figure out how to cover them if the need arises.  Plus, I've got two more that need to be planted


I'm going to have to go into town and get some garden soil if I'm going to put these flowers on the east side of my carport like I want to.  Maybe tomorrow...

And finally, I keep saying I'm going to start a new blog segment called Meme Debunkeration, where I debunk some of the memes I see getting passed around social media.  It's been hard to get it going, though, because I know that people don't want their pet memes debunked.  They want to believe what they want to believe and therefore, they want to see memes that back up their beliefs -- true or not. 

Anyway, I've been seeing this meme float around for a few weeks now, mostly by these young people who don't want to work a 40 hour week, but still want to get paid for a 40 hour week. 

What these ignorant, lazy kids have forgotten -- or never knew-- is that before Henry Ford standardized the 8 hour shift, the norm was 12-16 hours a day, six days a week, and none of that was considered overtime.  And kids as young as 4 years old worked those shifts alongside adults.  

Boo him?  You should be cheering him.  I know I am. 

No comments: