Monday, April 15, 2024

And With That

I finished another hat yesterday.  

I'm not completely sure I like this colorway, but it is colorful.   I have enough yarn left for maybe three more hats, and I'm sure some sailor somewhere will like them.  In the meantime, I've cast on another one with the fluorescent stripes yarn.  That seems to be a favorite -- well, among my coworkers, that is.  

So anyway, I'd meant to post yesterday, but didn't really feel like it.  Sometimes I'm amazed that anyone even wants to read my drivel, since it's mostly a personal blog.  But the thing is, it can't become a chore.  It's been that in the past, and I've had to take a break.  I want it to be something I enjoy writing, and that I'll enjoy reading sometime in the future.  If you enjoy it, too, that's all the better. 

All that to say, what I would have posted yesterday is this.  I got up early and was able to take a photo of my sunflowers without the glare of full sun.  


I'm really enjoying them, even though I'd never like growing sunflowers.  This afternoon, I went to Walmart and picked up some stakes and got them secured.  


We're not expecting any severe weather until the weekend, but I wanted to make sure I got the sunflowers staked before it gets here.  I feel a lot better knowing that they have that extra support now.  Oh, and I got the ones in the back yard done, too.  I just didn't take a photo.

While I was out there, I moved the two knitting needles that I had been using previously to the Bachelor's Buttons to give them a little support. 


I'm not really too worried about them.  The main reason I'm even staking them is to make sure when they seed that the seeds fall into the flower bed and not the yard.  Like this one did...


It's a beautiful plant.  It's just not where I want it. 

Speaking of beautiful, look what I found!  


Yes, that is a bud on one of my bluebonnets!  Woo hoo!  I might get one yet!  Plus, I have six packets of seeds in the freezer to plant in the Fall. I'm also considering starting some and putting the into a pot.  We'll see...

Speaking of starting seeds, I was going to start them all in the orange pots, but I changed my mind.  Turns out, I could only fit four into the little greenhouse, so I put those into one of my old greenhouse trays and put them onto the front porch. 


Even though we're likely past the threat of frost, I'm still bringing them inside at night, for fear of critters getting into them.  This is a variety of Cosmos, but I can't remember what it's called.  Cutie, I think.  The others I'd bought are Dwarf Sensation, which is what I put into my mini greenhouse -- after I dragged that old sewing machine out into the dining area and set up on it. 


That thing was heavy!  I'm seriously considering giving it away once I'm done starting seeds.  On the other hand, it's nice and level, and the perfect size for that spot right there.  

I got the other two packets of seeds planted, making sure this time plant them to the correct depth, and not send them down to Australia like I did before.  Also, I didn't plant any in the corner cells, because they don't get as much light.  

And now we wait.  
 

And with that, I was able to scratch one more thing off of my to-do list. 


Moving the daffodils will be a multi-day process, once I even decide what to do with them.  And of course mowing...My yard is still a bit soggy, so I'm trying to wait until Thursday to mow, and even then, I think I'll only do the front and side yards.  I'll leave the back for a bit.  

My purple deadnettle is starting to die back, but there is still plenty of clover and those yellow flowers out there, so I'm going to wait a while to cut it all down.  Once I get my privacy fence up, I may never mow the back again.  

No comments: