Saturday, April 13, 2024

Busy Saturday

Before I get into today's business, I need to tell you I've finished reading that Fire Mage book.  


It was one of those that took me three tries and a lot of determination to slough through that whole thing.  It was awful.  

It was the typical post apocalyptic story -- only this one was fantasy instead of sci-fi-- where the main character is a spoiled, headstrong, whiny, selfish, narcissistic teenage girl, only this one was incredibly stupid as well.  She's constantly moaning about how bad luck follows her, but she's too stupid to realize she makes her own bad luck by making stupid decisions. 

Not only that, the book is self published, so it's absolutely loaded with spelling and grammar errors enough to make the book downright painful to read.  The story had such promise, but the plot is thin, the writing childish, and the characters shallow and undeveloped.  I won't be reading any more books in this series.  It's time to get back to Shakespeare. 

Now, on to today's post.  I had quite a lot on the agenda, so I made myself a list first thing this morning. 

 The second thing I did was decide not to mow today, mainly because the yard is still a bit soggy from all the recent rains, but also because I didn't want to, so I got out and got the rest of the firewood moved into the back.  


I've definitely got enough wood to last for a year or two!  And look, it's all clean on this side of my shed, and much easier to refill the bird feeder, which I promptly did. 


I really want to get that thing torn down and rebuilt in a smaller size, but I can't help but think that a shed of that size will really increase the resale value of the house.  Only if I get the flooding issues fixed, the leaks in the roof fixed, and the siding replaced.  At that rate, might as well just tear it down and start over.   The real issue with that is finding a contractor I can trust.  I've been ripped off by so many, and blown off by so many others that I just don't trust anyone any more. 

The next thing I got taken care of is getting that little front flower bed cleaned out.  It was choked with weeds, but I got the ol' garden claw out and took care of those post haste.  I also lifted the edging a bit so it sits higher.  It had sunk so low you could barely see it, but now it's clearly visible. 


Then into their new home the four little Cosmos went.  


I went ahead and put the one lonely little bluebonnet that germinated into that bed as well, and covered it with a cloche so I won't forget that it's there and pull it up. 


I think next Fall I might try to plant some bluebonnets in this little bed, but I haven't decided yet.  None of the ones I planted in the back corner have done anything.  Except die, that is.  

Well, I lied to you yesterday.  I'd said I was done with the sunflowers, but look what surprised me in my seed starting tray this morning. 


Yep, another sunflower!  I moved it into this other pot right away, and now it's hanging out inside Marty Mac's cage for the time being. 


I have to put Marty Mac into a cage, because something keeps digging him up.  After the second time he was uprooted last summer, I found some old chicken wire and made this little cage for him, but in just a few days, something had dragged the entire cage across the porch and dumped Marty Mac over.  He wasn't uprooted, but that afternoon, I put the chunks of scrap concrete in there.   He's been just fine ever since.

But back to the little sunflower,  I might have messed up moving it so quickly, but I want to use the tray to start my next batch of seeds, so it had to come out.  Meanwhile, the other sunflowers are thriving.  


Even the one I had to prop up with the knitting needle has grown strong again, and I can probably take the needle out. 


I think I'm still going to get some stakes for them, even though most websites say they can stand on their own.  What with our spring storms and all, it won't hurt to give them a little extra support. 

By the time I'd done all that, I was tired and hot and sweaty, so I came in side and took a quick shower, then sat in front of the TV for the rest of the day.  I still want to start another set of seeds, but I'm going to use the other starting pots I'd bought instead of the tray. 


I'm still going to use the bottom tray and the heat mat, along with the grow lights, but not the part with the little seed cells.  I might get that taken care of later today, or tomorrow, but for now, I think I'll find a movie to watch and finish the hat I've got on the needles. 


Laters.

No comments: