Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Just Like That

Just like that, we're back on ten hour shifts.  Man, I wanted to cry when I set my alarm for 2:45, but we gotta do what we gotta do.  However, I would be remiss if I didn't show you the photos from my trip to see Peggy -- oh, and the eclipse, too. 

Funny thing is, when I went up there in 2017 and found out there would be another eclipse in 2024, I somewhat jokingly said, "We'll have to do this again in seven years."  I never in my life thought it would actually happen, but as you can see, it did!

We had a bit of a change of plans at the last minute, due to the expected crowds in Peggy's town.  We had planned on going to the park like we did last time -- just a different part-- but when they said they were expecting some 20,000 people, Peggy messaged me and said we'd just watch from her front yard. 

That's exactly what we did.  

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  

The plan had been for me to leave the motel around 8:00, figuring that would give me plenty of time to get to Missouri, but I got ready and got the car packed a lot quicker than I figured I would.  I got tired of sitting there, so I hit the road about 7:30.  I told you about the trip yesterday, which -- except for the super dense fog -- went without a hitch.  I arrived at their house around 10:00, and Peggy finally got to meet Suzette in person. 


For those of you who don't know the story, Peggy and I had a lovely, dear friend named Suzy.  She had multiple medical issues and was in end stage kidney failure.  Suzy often mentioned how much she would like to travel, but alas, she was tied to that dialysis clinic.  

Once, she made an offhand remark about how she missed going to fiber festivals, and said if anyone were going to one to think about her.  Well, that year, I went to the Fiber Fun In The 'Sip, and put together a little gift bag for her.  It had the bags they were handing out at the door, some yarn, some knitting tools like a tape measure, a bar of kudzu soap, and this little felted alpaca.  

When Suzy left us the following April -- it's hard to believe it's been four years now-- and I still miss her every single day -- the only thing I asked for was the little felted alpaca.  I named her Suzette, and she goes with me on all the trips Suzy couldn't go on.   This trip, she got to go see a total solar eclipse.  And yes, she had her glasses on.  


Safety first, you know.  For all of us.


By the way, do you have any idea how hard it is to take a selfie when you can't see anything?  Yeah, I took about 8 and this is the best one. 

But again, I'm getting ahead of myself.  So, I met Peggy's daughter and her cat, Fiona, the sweetest cat ever.  They both got a good laugh when I told them my cat's name.  You know her as Evil Incarnate.  We visited a bit, knit a bit, then it was time for lunch.  We had chicken salad, which Peggy said was a sort of a family tradition started back when they went to Shakespeare In The Park in St. Louis.  

I said I would love to go to Shakespeare In The Park some day.  We talked, and laughed, and visited, and had a great time.  Then the eclipse started.  We moved out into the driveway, and we squealed and marveled and sat amazed at the wonder of it all. 


 Peggy's daughter went and got the colander, and we said, "Oh, wow!" at the crescent shaped shadows.


And we looked at the shadows of the trees on the ground, and wowed at them, too. 


Then we reached totality. 


And the heavens declared the glory of God, and the skies proclaimed the works of His hands. 

We heard the crickets singing, and the sunset all around the horizon, and it got cold, and we saw planets, and all too soon totality was over and the moon moved on, and it became daylight again.  The birds began their wake up songs and the warmth returned and it was time for me to come on home, still in awe of what I had witnessed.  

I'm telling you, if you've never seen a total eclipse, you need to do whatever it takes to get yourself into the path of totality.  And I do mean totality.  Not 99%.  Not even 99.9%  You need to be in the path of totality, because it's the most amazing thing you'll ever see.  

And for the next one,  I will be in the path of totality.  



If I'm still here in MS, you are all invited to my house!  

Well, not all of you, but you know who you are...

And now, since 2:45 comes mighty early, I reckon I'd better start getting ready for bed.  I still want to tell you about the zoo, but that'll have to wait for another day.  Don't become alarmed if blogging is sparse for the next little bit as I get accustomed to sleep deprivation.  I'm still here.  

Just tired.  

No comments: