Friday, April 12, 2024

I Made It!

 I spent all afternoon looking over my shoulder, but I made it!  I made it to the end of my shift and out of the plant without anyone telling me to come in to work tomorrow!  

Yay, I have a weekend again!

I have a lot I want to get done tomorrow, but let's face it.  I probably won't do any of it.  Knowing me, I'll end up sitting in front of the TV all weekend.  But I have good intentions.  I'm thinking about running up to Batesville to see what they have in the garden center at their Walmart and Lowe's.  Cody has requested cilantro and Italian Parsley, and the local Walmart still doesn't have any. 

Plus, my friend Amy told me about a nursery up in Coldwater that I want to go to, but that won't be tomorrow.  I've had enough of driving for a while.  

Anyway, on the list is to move the rest of the firewood back into the old chicken coop, and the first thing I did when I got home was to...well, the first thing I did was laundry, but nobody wants to hear about that.   I got the wheelbarrow and loaded up the little bit of wood that was here and moved my Whatever Cacti outside into their summer home. 

We really aren't supposed to have any more cold spells, so they will be fine until the Fall.  I'm going to have to spend a bit of time over the next few days getting the rest of the wood moved to the back, but it's supposed to be beautiful weather for it.  

The last thing I did was to get the last of the sunflowers planted.  I had to put it in the back yard, because there isn't any room anywhere else. 

That's it for them, but I still have all those cosmos to find a place for -- and when I say all those, I'm including the ones I haven't even planted yet.  Which I also plan on doing this weekend.  Right now, the plan is to clean out that skinny bed in front of my porch and put them there. 

I mean, I'm going to start the seeds in my little greenhouse, but that's where I'm going to put them after they germinate.  

Speaking of seeds, I got a wild hair and decided to try to catch some of the seeds from my Bachelor's buttons that I have growing in the front bed.  I'd planted a bunch of wildflower seeds in that bed a couple of years ago, and the BBs are the only ones that keep re-seeding themselves.  I'm not even sure why I want to catch the seeds, since I can just buy some at Walmart, but hey, it's an experiment. 

I got a little plastic baggy and tied it around an already wilted flower, and we'll just see what happens. 


I'll let the rest of the flowers develop and seed naturally, but I'd love to have a nice, thick stand of these.  

When I got home from work Tuesday, I noticed this one little sunflower was flopped over.  The stem didn't seem to be damaged in any way, so I don't really know why it was drooping.  I'm going to get some stakes for all of them, just to give them a little stability in the high spring winds, but for now, I used a size 15 Boye knitting needle.  


That's it for today.  I think I'll get off here and knit a bit. 

Laters. 

2 comments:

Otter said...

Ahhh Becky, you have known me too long. My last name is Batchelor. The flowers are called Bachelor Buttons. Drop the T to get the flower or single man. After I giggled, I told hubby and he chuckled. And this reminds me that I need to get seeds and bulbs in the ground pronto.

Becky G said...

Hmmm, I noticed that when I did it and thought I had corrected it already. I guess not. Thanks for pointing it out.