Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Hey Google, Let’s Talk

Seriously, Google Maps, we need to have a conversation about your navigation skills.   

So, there I was heading South on I-55, happily heading home from hanging with Peggy.  There was traffic on the road, but not really any more than normal.  At least, it wasn't any worse than when I came home from my nephew's weeding last August.  Funny thing is, as soon as I crossed the border into Arkansas, most of the traffic seemed to disappear.  I don't know where it went, but hey, I'll take it. 

Heh, I even ran into the same road construction as I did seven months ago -- having to straddle the rumble strips just like I did back then.  And that same freaky stretch of road that made it sound like my car was about to fall apart, just like last time.  

Anyway, I was about 25 miles outside of Memphis, making good time when Google maps sent me the message that it had found a "faster route."  

"Faster route?"  I said.  "Yes please!"  

Only Google Maps didn't take into account the eclipse traffic.  Yep, I finally hit it.  I swan I think every single resident of Memphis and Northwestern Tennessee had travelled into Arkansas to watch the eclipse, and they all seemed to hit that same stretch of road at the same time as I did.  To make matters worse, parts of I-55 were shut down for construction, so we all -- and I do mean all -- had to cross the river on the I-40 bridge.  

An hour and a half, I sat there in a line of cars that was literally miles long, creeping along at a snail's pace, asking Google, "How is this faster?"  In retrospect, I think I would have been better off staying on the highway.  I mean, there still would have been traffic, but with fewer twists and turns.  And after all of that, I still had to drive through Memphis.  In the dark. 

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate driving through Memphis?  And I sure wish they'd ban those halogen headlights...

On the bright side, I got to see a full rainbow, which I haven't seen one in ages.  And on the brighter side, that one spot was really the only traffic I ran into the whole way.  I'd planned on stopping at the Mississippi welcome center and doing a Suzette update, but by the time I got through Memphis, all I wanted to do was get on home, so I drove the whole way without stopping.  Not even once.  

I didn't make it home until 9:00, and yes, I got up at 3:30 to go to work this morning, so I'm a bit wiped out. 

Eh, I suppose I can't really blame Google for not anticipating the eclipse traffic.  The trip up Sunday was a different story altogether.  I drove up Sunday and went to the zoo, but now let me preface my story by saying I know how to get to the zoo.  I've been there dozens of times.  The way I go is simple and straightforward, but this time, I wanted to see what Google Maps showed me.  Maybe it's easier and less trafficky.  

Nope.  

I don't even know where Google took me, but it was definitely the long way around.  I ended up going past the zoo following their directions and came in from the opposite side as I usually do...I mean, the far side of the zoo entrance.  I won't be doing that again.  

I had a very nice time at the zoo, but didn't really take a lot of photos.  I did get this one of the newborn giraffe for you. 


He is only a few days old.   I'll talk more about the zoo in a later post, because there was something very exciting there.  

After leaving the zoo, I headed to my motel, which sits right on Highway 51.  But instead of taking me straight up 51, Google sent me up Highway 14, then I had to take another road and come back a bit to get to the motel.  So yeah, I don't completely trust Google Maps so much. 

When I finally got to the motel, I had a brief moment of panic when the clerk checking me in couldn't find my reservation.  I opened the Hotel app and showed her the confirmation, and she was able to find the number she needed to check me in.  For some strange-odd reason, the app had booked the room under my user name, not my legal name, but in the end all was well. 

I got checked in and was on my way to my room, when I passed another woman I'd never ever seen before in my life.  And she started talking to me.  She told me about her husband, how she and her best friend track each other on their phones, their houses in Florida, where to get something good to eat...I finally got away from her, went up to my room, and by then I was so tired all I wanted to do was take a shower and lay down.  That's just what I did. 

Suzette, on the other hand, apparently had a pretty wild night of partying, because I found her passed out in the floor the next morning. 



Now, I have to give credit where credit is due, because after getting Suzette some hot coffee and sobering her up a bit, we hit the road and Google led me straight to Peggy's house with not a whit of a problem.  Indeed, the biggest problem I faced was that the fog was so very thick.  Seriously, as one point, I was just following the car in front of me, hoping that driver could see where he was going.  

It was so thick, when I crossed the Mississippi River at Caruthersville, I couldn't see the river, I couldn't see the bridge, I couldn't see anything.  All I could think was, "I sure hope there isn't a cargo ship under this bridge."  Thankfully, there wasn't, and Suzette and I made it safely to Missouri,


then on to Peggy's house. 

Which I will tell you more about in a later post.  Right now, all I'm going to do is sit and rest a bit.  

I'm plumb knackered.

No comments: