Sunday, June 05, 2022

My Weekend Project

It looks like I've been blown off by yet another plumber.  It's been 10 days, and not a peep from him.  What's wrong with people these days?  Does nobody want to work any more?  I'm almost to the point of getting my own trusty shovel and some Flex seal and trying to fix the dumb sewer line myself.  It may just come to that yet.  

But that'll have to happen later.  My project for this weekend was to pressure wash the moss off of my back porch.   It had gotten pretty bad over the winter, and I'd almost busted my hiney slipping on it a few times. 



Saturday afternoon, I got the ol' pressure washer out and gave them a good scrubbing.  


Then I had to come inside and clean my glasses, because I'd sprayed myself in the face a few times during the process.  Once the bricks dried, they looked a lot better.  If I can only keep it up.  


Pressure washing is actually kinda fun, so it shouldn't be too hard.  

So, I was practicing my piano the other day, doing my sight reading book, and came across this:


Now, the way I read it is that I had to old down the three notes on the base clef with my left hand, and the three notes on the treble clef with my right hand, which leads to the conundrum...how do I play the three high notes in the last two measures?  

One friend suggested I use my pinky, but that lead to two problems.  One is that the fingering notation says to use finger #3, and since it's an exercise book, I kind of feel like I should do it the way it's written.  The second problem with that is I'd already tried it, and my hands are just too small for that big of a stretch.  

The only other option I could see was to use my big toe, so naturally I did what any red blooded American would do.  I asked online, and was not disappointed.  My brother -- who does have a masters degree in music, oh by the way -- said to hold the sustain pedal down and use my right hand to play the three notes. That's what I did, but I'll tell you one thing...it was a lot more interesting watching me try to play that note with my toes!  Just one of the many reasons I'm glad I live alone.  

More good news!  Do you see what this is?  


Do you know what it is?  It's dying dollar weed!  That stuff I put down last week worked!  I think I'm going to go ahead and order more, then put some down in the fall, and again in the spring before I've planted my flower beds (so I don't have to worry about accidentally killing my flowers).  And the best part is, when I mowed yesterday, I didn't find a single new fire ant bed.  The ones that had been previously in the yard were all dead, and no new ones had formed.  That alone was worth the price of admission! 

It's so nice to find something that actually works the way it is advertised.  Unlike plumbers, apparently. 

And finally, some bad news.  Our reprieve from being mask free has been overruled.  It was the new HR director that rescinded the mask mandate, but our psychopathic Big Man Up Front reinstated it. 


Sigh....This is the only place in a year and a half that I've been required to wear a mask.  These people need to get with the times!

By the way, third shift supervisor and his family all have it.  COVID, I mean.  Again, I mean.  This is like...their fourth time to all have it.  There are 11 of them living in that one house.  I don't know what's going on, but every six months, they all seem to come down with it.  For those of you keeping score, one has had the shot but not the booster, seven haven't had any of the shots, and three are too young.  You know, for what it's worth...

Oh, and one last thing before I go.  The football world lost one of the great ones recently. He was a favorite of mine back in the day, and if you look through old posts, you would have seen his photo many a time. 


The official cause of his death has not been released, but I have a feeling...

Not all wounds are visible.  End the stigma.  

No comments: