Tuesday, March 29, 2022

My New Toy

I got me a new toy today.  Not my potting table.  I'm still waiting on that one.

No, what I got is this:

And what is it, you may ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  It's a silicone mold for my wax seals.  Naturally, I had to try it out.

I can't really say I'm too terribly impressed.  I think I got better looking seals from my regular baking mat.  However, it might do better with some better quality wax.  This stuff was pretty lumpy anyway, and never really melted evenly, so it never poured smoothly.  Once I've used it all up, I'm going to make sure I get the good stuff, the kind made from pure beeswax.  That is the best kind.  

If I'm going to use this old wax up, though, it looks like I'm going to have to reactivate my account on that Global Penfriends site, as only two of my pen pals still write regularly, and one of them is in Australia, so I don't use wax seals on her envelopes.  I don't trust US mail, and I don't trust international mail even more.  Maybe I should try putting a seal on one of her letters, just to see if it survives.  

In other news, this is what we have to look forward to tomorrow.

Oh boy, huh?  To be on the safe side, I moved all of my plants from the front porch inside the car port.


What few there are, I mean.  They ought to be safe there.  Or safer, really.  But look what I found in my flower bed!


It looks like another little bluebonnet coming up.  I hope it survives the storm.  The last one didn't.  The last seedling, I mean.  The big one is still hanging in there.  


In a couple more weeks, I'll be planting the ones from my peat pellets into the same flower bed.  I ordered some little flags off Amazon to mark where the bluebonnets and the other wildflowers are.  That way, I can tell what I planted from the wild weeds and I'll know what to pull up when I weed the bed.  

I'll go ahead and mark this one, too.  


It's a bachelor's button frown from something I planted last year. It is absolutely loaded down with buds.  Once they all open up, it ought to be a gorgeous sight to behold.  It would be really nice if I could managed to get a self-propagating wildflower bed, but alas, the native weeds tend to take it over. 

By the way, I've been watching a show called The Courtship.  It's one of those Bachelor/Bachelorette type of shows -- which I don't normally watch.  But this one is pretty interesting.  They've transported all the people back to regency era England, and they're doing things the way they did back then.  Now, honestly, I don't really care if the girl finds love or not.  I'm just watching for the Jane Austin clothes and manners.  

It's really pretty cool. 

No comments: