Thursday, March 17, 2022

Cool Points

   Before we get into that, first I have to show you the new piece of equipment I got for my bug out bag.  

 

And what is that nondescript black box? It's a solar powered phone charger.  But wait, there's more!  It's also got a compass, and some super bright LED lights.  I'd been thinking about getting something like this ever since my power was out for several days after the Easter Storms of 2020.  I mean, yes, I was taking my phone to work and charging it there, but what if I didn't have that option?  And what with gas prices these days, the last thing I want to do is to sit there idling in my car so my phone can charge.  Thus, a solar powered charger.  

Also, before I continue, dare I hope I have solved my plumbing problem?  I flushed it out really well last Friday, and a week later, it's still clear.  I think that's the longest it's gone since the problem started.  This time, instead of just putting the Drain King right inside the cleanout, I shoved it way down as far as I could get it to go before turning it on.  Maybe that's what it needed.  Keep your fingers crossed.  

Finally, we get to the Cool Points.  What are Cool Points?  Well, they are a way to show appreciation to your employees.  Lots of companies use them, and the one I work for is no exception.  The downside to this is, it is next to impossible for shop floor employees to get Cool Points.  Oh, your front office people get them every time they turn around but us peons?  Nope.  

Heh, last year, I even went to a vaccine information presentation, just to get the Cool Points they promised us.  And the free breakfast.  But mostly the Cool Points. 

And the free breakfast...

OK, moving right along.  

I've been saving mine up for eleven years now.  Eleven years.  And I still didn't have enough to get anything decent...until I got all those points from my Supervisor the other day.  Which I totally deserved.  For brazing 500 units by myself.  Doing a two person job.  Singlehandedly. 

The other day, one of my coworkers and I were talking about redeeming ours.  I'd been wondering if they had gift cards you could redeem your points for.  I looked on the Celebrate Cool website, and yes, they did, but they were to places like Macy's and stuff.  We were saying, we don't need a Macy's card.  Give us something useful, like a gas card or a grocery card. 

However, while looking around on the site, I finally found something worth redeeming my points for.  I waffled for a few moments, then added it to my cart.  

It arrived today.  



(Yes the photo is upside down.  It was easier to flip the photo over than the box.  That thing is heavy!)

A brand new telescope!  I got it out and put together, then took it outside to try to align the viewfinder.  Thing.  Whatever it's called. 

It says to focus on an object at least 1/4 mile away, but there are too many trees around here.  I tried to focus on some of the farthest trees I could see, but I don't know if they're far enough away.  I think I got it aligned, but I don't know for sure.  There is a second alignment you have to do after dark, but we haven't gotten there yet.  

The description said it's powerful enough to see the rings of Saturn and the Great Red Spot of Jupiter.  We shall see.  Best of all, it has an app where you can find what you want to look at on the app, and the telescope will automatically turn to it!  No more frustrating twisting and turning and trying to get that raggedy old tripod to stay put.

Now for the bad news....I go to bed before the sun does.  Sigh...I don't know when I'm going to be able to use it. Hopefully the severe weather will pass by Saturday night and I can get out and do some stargazing.  

For now, it's safely tucked into the snake room.  

And this, folks, is why I don't want daylight saving time to be made permanent.  Only in the deepest winter would I be able to get out and use my new scope. 

The only downside is that it's heavy, and doesn't come with a carrying case, so it's not very transportable. But hey, for a free telescope, it's pretty darn OK. 

I ain't complaining. 


Only, now I'm totally out of Cool Points.  I guess it'll be eleven more years before I can get anything else, huh?

No comments: