Saturday, March 19, 2022

Dang it!

I forgot batteries. 

My telescope requires 8 AA batteries to power the motor thing.  The one that moves it around.  I'd checked my cabinet and I didn't have enough, so I was intending to buy some when I went to the store yesterday.  

I had them on my list.  They were the very first item on my list.  The very first item!  And I walked right out of the store without them. 

We had some severe weather come through during the wee smalls Friday morning.  It didn't last too long, but I'm telling you, one of those thunder claps nearly had me coming out of the bed.  And that was after coughing my head off half the night because I'm too stubborn to take my allergy medicine.  

I was so tired all day yesterday, I almost felt sick.  I felt a little better after eating lunch, but by the time the work day was done, and I went into town on my weekly shopping run, I just wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible.  I should have gotten the batteries first, but I didn't.  I told myself I'd get them when I went to check out, since the battery display is right up there by the checkouts, but I walked right past them.   

I blame sleep deprivation.

Then today, I spent ten minutes hunting for a brazing jig that was already on my stand.  I looked everywhere for it -- through all the jig racks, on the other brazers' stands.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  My coworker finally asked, "Becky, what are you looking for?"  I told her, and she said, "It's in the [parts bin]".  The one I'd just gotten from the conveyer.  The one that was already on my stand. 

Yeah, I'm going to plead the Fifth on that one.  

It isn't just me, either.  The other day, one of the third shift brazers caught the dust in his fan on fire.  He was freaking out, and another, more experienced brazer told him to just turn the fan on, and it'll put the fire out.  He said, "Oh, I forgot that was a fan."  

But I digress...where was I?

Oh, yes, batteries.  I completely forgot to buy batteries.  I need them for my telescope, to power the motor thing that turns it and stuff.  No matter.  I'd just run to the Dollar General store on the corner (of Papermill Rd and 51 Highway, for you local folks) after work and get some.  

Just past the turn I needed to make to get onto on Papermill Rd -- you know, to go to the dollar store -- I remembered, "Oh, I was supposed to turn there."  

Say it with me now, sleep deprivation...

It wasn't too big a deal, I just had to take the long way around, but I made it there eventually.  I bought my batteries, and after a quick bite of supper, I put my telescope together and got the batteries into the power pack.   I opened the phone app and was able to get it connected to the telescope's wifi network, and played with it a little bit, figuring out how to move the telescope using the arrows on the app.  That is totally cool.  No more manually trying to find what I want to look at, then getting frustrated when the telescope moves!  I just tap the appropriate arrow, and the scope moves itself!  

Now, I just have to wait until it gets dark to get it aligned to the sky map in the app....So, here I sit, twiddling my thumbs impatiently and watching history documentaries on Trvl Channel.  

via GIPHY

Oh, and I almost forgot.  The telescope has a thing I can attach my phone to it and take photos!  Woo hoo!  I need to figure that out, since the moon will still be mostly full tonight. 

In the meantime, I think I'll go practice my piano a bit.  

No comments: