Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Heel Flap

 Well, now I'm confused.  I got home from work this evening, and checked my cleanout.  It's completely drained.  Not backed up at all.  I don't know what is going on.  I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I did call a plumber last night, but he never called me back.  That's how it is around here.  People just don't want to work.    

Next thing I need to do is find someone to bring me some dirt or sand so I can fill in some of these holes and low spots in my yard.  I think that will be this summer's project.  

Since today is a bit of a slow day news-wise, I thought I'd give you your next sock knitting lesson.  Just book mark it until you're ready to get there, or hit the label at the bottom of this post.  And remember, this is just how I do it.  There are many different ways, and none of them are wrong. 

OK, once you've gotten your sock leg knit to the length you want it,    


the next step is to knit a heel flap.  You should have an equal number of stitches on each of four needles. and each one should be 1/4 of your total number of cast on stitches.  For example, if you have a 72 stitch cast on, you should have 18 stitches on each needle.  

Knit across the stitches on Needle #1, then with the same needle, knit across the stitches on Needle #2.  You should have half of your stitches on one DPN, like so: 


For the moment, you will completely ignore the stitches on the other two needles.  Turn your work, so that the wrong side -- i.e. the inside of the sock -- is facing you.  Slip the first stitch, and purl across.  It should look something like this: 


On the next row, the right side row, slip the first stitch, and knit the second.  Continue slip 1 knit 1 across the row.  

Turn your work, slip one, then purl across.  Repeat these two rows for a total of 36 rows.  You should have 18 slipped stitches on each side of the heel flap. 

When it is done, it'll look something like this:

Congratulations!  You have now knit a heel flap.  In the next lesson, I'll show you how to work magic.  We're going to turn the heel.  

Until next time...

No comments: