Friday, March 11, 2022

A Day Off

I took a day off work today.  No particular reason.  I just wanted to have a day off.  We're all tired out there.  

Heh, yesterday, I'd moved to another stand for a few moments.  The person who usually works there wasn't there, so I'd gotten on her stand to finish the order that was already set up.  My other coworker came over to me and said, "I just can't get it together today.  I saw you brazing on this stand, but I still thought to myself, 'Becky's been in the bathroom a long time.  This isn't like her.  I probably ought to go check on her." And a saw you on this stand!" We both had a good laugh over that.  But yeah, the long hours are starting to get to us.  Thus, the day off.

The plan for today was, well, first of all, to sleep past 2:45, and yes, that did happen. I slept until 4:30 and it felt wonderful. 

But what I'd actually hoped to accomplish was three things.

1) Get my taxes done. 

2) Call the plumber

3) Write a letter to my Australian pen pal.

Two of those three things happened.  I'll let you guess which one didn't get accomplished.  Here's a hint:  it involved a telephone. 

Even so, it was nice to have a relaxing day, though I had a hard time relaxing.  I kept feeling like I needed to be up and accomplishing something.  Nevertheless, that was my day. 

Moving onward, I bought some new daffodils. 


I know it's hard to see in the photo, but the cups have lovely little peach rims on them.  I couldn't resist.  I used to have some like this years ago, but they stopped coming up.  Most of my daffodils have.  This photo is from this year. 

Whereas four years ago at this time,  the bed looked something like this:  

I'm not sure what's going on there, but I'm thinking I may dig what's left up once they've done blooming and the leaves start to die back, and move them somewhere else.  This spot may just be a little too wet for them.  My yard doesn't have good drainage on this side of the house, so that may be what the problem is. 

You know, now that I think about it, that old fire pit would make a good daffodil bed, along with purple cone flowers and black eyed susans --provided I can keep them alive, that is.  And can get my act together enough to dig the trash out of it and fill it with good soil.  

Speaking of keeping things alive, my few remaining Bluebonnets are hanging in there.

As is the one in my bed.  And look, this looks like it just might be another one germinating:

It's too early to tell for sure, but we will keep an eye on it. 

Marty Mac is coming out of his dormancy and beginning to grow new traps.  It looks like he might be trying to grow a bloom, too!

You won't be able to see it in this photo, yet, but it's there.  I've been putting him out on the porch in the afternoons to get him hardened off, and probably after this next cold spell, I might leave him out for good.  Oh, and I almost forgot, I found a bachelor's button growing in my front flower bed.  

And lastly, in case you hadn't heard, you can now order  four more COVID tests from the post office.  Mine arrived today. 

Because my tax dollars paid for them, and by golly, I want them!

No comments: