Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Is that????

 The nice thing about long weekends is getting to sleep somewhat normal hours, and waking up when your body is ready.  The downside to long weekends is that when they're over, getting up at 2:45 again is downright brutal.   They say you should wake up at the same time every day, even on your days off.  "They" being so called sleep experts. 

I'm saying, that ain't gonna happen.  I'm not getting up at 2:45 unless I absolutely have to -- or there's a major astronomical event.  Either will do...Today was a day when I absolutely had to get up at 2:45.  Bummer. 

I knew right away what kind of day today is going to be when I walked out the door and left my coffee in the coffeemaker.  Sigh...I hadn't left the house yet, so I was able to go back and get it, but it set the tone for the day. 

I get to work, and there is nothing ready for us to do.  Nothing.  I clean up for a while...I check what's on the line...I go put in my vacation days for my oral surgery -- which got approved, by the way, so we're all set -- I go to the bathroom...

Where I see this: 


A suspiciously yellow tinted puddle on the floor.  It's not the first time, either.  And always right there in front of the mirror.  So what's going on on third shift?  Are they peeing on the floor? 

Given some of the other stuff that goes on late at night, I wouldn't put it past them. 

The part stagers finally get an order ready for me to braze...aaaand one of the adapter tubes is bent wrong.  I mean, they're always wrong, but this one was so wrong, I couldn't use it at all.  

I turned it back in to be redone, then walked over to the conveyor where we put our finished work to see how far ahead of the lines we are.  That's when I noticed that one of the orders brazed by third shift was wrong. 

As in brazed wrong.  As in brazed so wrong I don't see how they could have even fit it into the jig that way. I went over and told Group Leader Shark, and she told me the new policy is that we have to send them to the line anyway -- knowing that they're wrong -- and the line has to put in the rework order. 

I swear, the upper management must have late night meetings to think of what makes the most sense, so they can do the exact opposite.  

I went back to my stand and went back to work, but those wrong headers rankled me all morning, especially watching the parts stage load them onto the buggy and take them to the back.  But what could I do?  I'd already reported them, so there was nothing left for me to do but stand there and be rankled.  I told another brazer about them, and said, "I don't see why they won't let us go ahead and re-do them, since we're the ones that are going to have to re-do them anyway."  

They ended up shutting that line down, so I guess we'll find out tomorrow how that went.  

Oh, and by the way, we had six brazers out today.  Six.  That's half the department, and did we get any help?  Of course not!  

.

.

.

Three hours later...I was all done with my day, getting ready for bed, when I realized I'd never finished writing my blog post.  That means, instead of a nice, rewritten polished post with a tidy conclusion, you get abruptly cut off with a rough draft followed by a hearty good night.

Good night!

No comments: