Friday, May 08, 2020

Well, Poop

Yesterday, I was at work, just a working away, when the dispatcher came into the brazing department and gestured me over.  He tossed a piece of paper in my general direction and took off the other way as fast as he could.  Once I saw what was on that paper, I understood.  It said Tubing department is scheduled to work Saturday.  

Immediate outcry ensued.  "What??? We gotta work Saturday???  I can't believe they're making us work Saturday!!!"  And I'm just over here thinking, "Why are you acting like you've never worked here before?"  Buuuut.....Just before we got off today, Group Leader Shark came and said brazers would be off.  

They're putting in a new system, and it's going to take a bit to get it all up and running and organized.  However, until they do, we've had precious few orders to braze up.  I can't recall a time when I've been so bored at work.  Wait, yes I can.  Back when I was on second shift, I spent a bit of time as a quality auditor -- which involved mostly standing and looking all night.  I'd get so bored, I'd put my auditing tools down and work on the lines.  I hated that job.  

Anyway, today, I only brazed 90 parts.  Normal is 250-300.  I'll be glad when they get this all figured out.  I know some of those people can stand around all day talking, but me, I've got to have me some work to do.  

Well, we've had our first positive COVID diagnosis in the plant.  It's a girl on second shift.  He called her name in the meeting, but I'd never heard of her, and didn't know who she is.  They sent her home, and everyone in her department has been quarantined.  I'm wondering how she made it into the plant to begin with, since they're taking everyone's temperature at the door.  Obviously, that doesn't work, so they can stop anytime.  But they won't.  It makes them feel better.  Unearned Moral Superiority, is why Bill Whittle calls it. 

The Big Man Up Front -- and New Boss will heretofore be known on this blog -- has decided to make wearing masks mandatory.  He's just waiting on corporate headquarters to approve it.  He's been trying to do it for weeks, but hasn't gotten approval.  But now, he probably will.  Sigh...It won't stop the virus from spreading, but it will make him feel better.  And only him...

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate my job?  


Let's talk about something more pleasant, shall we?  Small businesses are hurting right now.  Lots of them have gone under.  I said I was going to use my stimulus to help some of them out, since I'm still working.  I can't help much, but I can place an order every now and again.  This time, it was my friend Leann.  You've met her before. Several times.  

This is her newest yarn set, dyed strictly for the pandemic.  It's called We The People.  


Here's a better picture of the mini skeins.  Aren't they pretty?  I love the red, white and blue ones.   


I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this yarn yet, but I wanted to help her out.  I can't afford to buy all of her stuff that I want, but I couldn't pass this one up.  Here is a link to her shop:  Forbidden Fiber.  Do go and check her out.  She's got some truly gorgeous stuff there. 

Oh, and here's how the Zoom Loom squares are going.  


My, Becky, you certainly wove a lot in the last two days!  No, I didn't.  I cheated.  I found the strip I'd already started sewing together weeks ago, and simply joined it to the new squares.  I'm not sure how big I'm going to make this thing.  I'll figure it out as I go.  

Finally, I received this beautiful card from Cyndye.  


Her cousin is painting them to earn a little extra cash.  I might just have to put in an order, mighten I?  





No comments: