Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Much Better

I'm sure you will all be very pleased to know my wrist feels much better today.  I iced it down really well yesterday, then slept in my wrist brace last night.  It still feels a little tight, so to speak, but doesn't hurt nearly as much.  

With that bit of housekeeping out of the way, on to today's post.  

This morning at work, they handed out a paper about the coworker who was diagnosed with COVID Saturday.  According to the handout, she'd been sick for a week with what she thought was a sinus infection.  She'd gone to her doctor, but when she hadn't gotten better after a few days, she went back.  Her doctor then sent her for a COVID test.  That was Friday.  

And yes, she did come back to work Saturday.  Now, why on earth would they let her come back to work if the doctor suspected she had the coronavirus?  That just doesn't make any sense to me.  As soon as she got the message that she'd tested positive, she told her supervisor, like she was supposed to.  The health and safety people did their assessment, and decided who to quarantine -- which was about half an assembly line.  And two supervisors.  

We've got so many people in quarantine, they've had to call back some of the temps to fill in.  Of course, with more and more of the country opening back up, maybe they'll get to stay.  Maybe work will pick back up and the temps will all come back.  As will the overtime.  

Here's another thing.  One of the people who'd come into contact with the sick person got sent into quarantine Saturday with the rest of them.  I'll call her 1st Contact.  Her daughter also works at the plant.  Her daughter also lives with her.  Her daughter also came back to work for two days -- after 1st Contact got sent into quarantine. Somebody found out and sent daughter home, too, for two weeks of quarantine. Now why would you even do that?  Why would you come to work, knowing someone you lived with had been exposed?  

Me, I wish they'd make antibody testing available for employees.  As big as that place is, and as many people as they employ, it's unrealistic to think that -- well, that they can keep it out in the first place -- but that it hasn't already swept through the place.  Back in February, there were lots of people with flu-like illness with a dry, hacking cough.   Antibody studies in New York, California, and even Ohio have shown that the virus has been here a lot longer than we first realized -- maybe even as far back as November and December.  I'd be very interested to find out if that flu -like illness with the dry, hacking cough I had around the first of February was something more than just a flu-like illness with a dry, hacking cough.  

By the way, they've started handing out plastic face shields to some employees in lieu of masks.  Brazers can't wear them, because of our brazing glasses, but some people are.  Personally, I don't think people are going to like them any better than the other masks.  Most of the ones who were wearing the shields  yesterday were back to the cloth masks today.  And they don't make it any easier to understand people.  I was talking to someone today who was wearing one, and it still sounded muffled, as if he was talking through a closed door.  

Heh, you know how when you get older, and you're driving, you turn down the radio to see better?  I find myself pulling down my mask to hear better.  

OK, moving right along.  I found this growing up the back of my house last year.  


I'd killed it then, because I thought it was poison ivy.  However, upon closer inspection, I saw that it didn't have the correct number of leaves.  


After appealing to my internet friends, I have discovered it is a Virginia Creeper.  Now, I'm debating on whether to rip it out or leave it.  They have beautiful fall foliage, but what I'm wondering is if they will get out of hand like the English Ivy I just got rid of.  I'll keep an eye on it for a year or so, then decide what to do with it. 

Look!  My Gardenia has a bud!


This poor thing has struggled since I planted it.  I'm just going to give up on it.  If it lives, great.  If it doesn't, oh well.  

Finally, one last little thing before I go.  Just because a post doesn't show up in your Facebook feed doesn't mean one wasn't written.  I hate having to depend on their algorithm for people to find my blog.  Please, please, please, if you enjoy my posts, book mark the site and come here directly.  

Not trying to fault anyone here, besides Facebook, that is.  It just gets really discouraging sometimes...


No comments: