Saturday, May 23, 2020

Overtime

There I was at work, just a working away, when I turned to my coworker and said, "Is it too much to hope they let us go at lunch?" Turns out, it was too much to hope.  We worked the whole day long.  At least it was only an 8  hour day instead of a 9 hour day.  Normally, I want every bit of overtime I can get, but I was hoping to have this Saturday off, since it's a long weekend.  

I was sleeping good, too, when that alarm went off.  I seriously considered calling in and going back to bed, but I knew better.  I would have lost my holiday pay for Monday, and I can't afford that.  So, it was out of bed and off to work for me.   I found out why we're getting this overtime.  Seems another A-coil plant has closed due to COVID, and we got their customers.  I'm not sure if it's for good, or just for quarantine.  I hate it for those employees, but glad for me.  

At least I felt better today than I did yesterday, when I had a massive, splitting headache all day long.  I actually had a post I was mentally composing for you, but when I got home and tried to write it, it just wasn't happening.  This is what you would have gotten:


So there I was, sitting in the parking lot after work debating how badly I needed a new coffee maker.  Seriously, though...

Walmart, on a Friday afternoon...before a holiday weekend...during a global pandemic...ummm

Simon Cowell... It's a no from me | Winky face, Nurse humor

It didn't help that I had a splitting headache all day long.  Or it did, rather.  It helped me to decide to go on home instead of to the store.  It's starting to get pretty warm in the plant.  It was up to 90' in my work area.  Having to wear that stupid mask made me feel like I was about to suffocate.  

I got to thinking, though.  What happens if one of the sub-brazers comes down with the virus?  Is he going to quarantine the entire department?  That isn't going to work, because he doesn't have any back up brazers.  `

File:RainbowBridge (Texas).jpg - Wikipedia


It was disjointed and incomprehensible, and I couldn't remember what I wanted to tell you, and I have no idea how that picture of the Rainbow Bridge got in there.  Hopefully, I can make a bit more sense tonight. 

Look at what I woke up to this this morning:

No photo description available.
Add caption

So, if you see me over there coughing up a lung, or driving alone in the car with a mask on, mind ya business, mmmkay, and don't be all judgy and stuff.   

The older I get, the more I hate to go to Walmart.  When I was in my 20s, I loved going there.  Sometimes, I'd even go when I didn't need anything and just walk around.  Nowadays, even when I need to go, I put it off as long as possible.  Take for instance, Wednesday night, my coffee maker crapped out.

I'd had some pretty serious insomnia that night, and along about midnight, I got up to get something to drink.  When I got into the kitchen, there was water all over my cabinet.  It only took a small amount of sleuthing to figure out it had come from my coffee maker.  Apparently, the reservoir had cracked, and leaked the water all out.  

I know that's not correct grammar.  I'm speaking in vernacular.

I wasn't too happy about that.  The coffee maker was my 20th anniversary gift from work, and was only 5 years old.  I'd looked it up online, and it's a $100 coffee maker.  My first thought was, "Boy, I'm glad I didn't pay money for that thing.  If I'd paid $100 for a coffee maker and it only lasted 5 years, I'd be mad."  

Free or not, the reservoir was cracked, and I figured it'd be cheaper just to buy a new one than try to get it fixed.  

Thus it was I needed a new coffee maker.  Thus it was I needed to go to Walmart.  For two days, I put off going, but finally went this afternoon.  How I convinced myself to go is by promising myself I could get some ice cream for the holiday weekend.  

Now,  I have a new coffee maker, my ice cream, and my missing man place set at the table.  I'm all set for the weekend.

Image may contain: stripes














No comments: