Tuesday, May 05, 2020

And Just Like That

Just like that, I'm back on 10 hour shifts.

The way it happens is as follows.

Way back in January, when I was scheduling my vacation for the year, I'd put in for today.  I figured it'd be a good day to plant my flower beds.  However, what with all that's been going on lately, I just haven't felt like fooling with flowers.  I've barely even gone into the garden center.

Yesterday after work, I had to run in for some milk and bananas -- and a few other things.  Since birdseed was one of the few other things I needed, while I was in the garden center, I picked up a few packets of wildflower seeds.  I'm not sure why.  I've never had much luck with them.  They just never grow.

Last night, I got an idea.  Maybe they weren't not growing.  Maybe the birds are eating the seeds before they can sprout.  So this morning, after laying in bed for nearly an hour after the alarm went off -- because I had the day off and I could -- I got out there and clawed up the little section of my garden I was planning on planting them in, removed as many weed roots as I could, and scattered the seeds across the bed.  I used my dirt rake to stir them into the soil, then I went and cut my grass.

I'd been reading my friend Marcy's blog, and she had mentioned they'd planted some grass and covered it with hay to keep the birds from finding the seeds.  I thought, "What is hay but dried grass?"   Thus, I covered my newly planted seeds with grass clippings.


In a day or two, the grass will dry out, and voila': hay!  Maybe this year, I'll get some wildflowers.  Since I had some leftover grass clippings, I put a few around my little bluebonnets.


By the way, if anyone knows how to kill Creeping Charlie without killing my grass, please, please, please let me know.  It's taking over my yard.  But look here!  I have a white bluebonnet!


These are the seeds my friend Cyndye sent me last spring.  She has some pale pink bluebonnets, and was hoping some of their seeds made it into the ones she sent me.  I'm hoping they seed and fill the bed up next year.

Also, look!  My roses are blooming!


I'd cut them back pretty hard last year, and was afraid I'd killed them, but no.  I need to get out there and clean out some of the dead bits, but other than that, I'm only going to cut the parts that stick straight out into the yard from now on.

Also also, the garden mum I'd thought was dead has taken off and is growing.  It should be gorgeous by fall.


Now, I know you're all wondering by now how all this got me back onto ten hour shifts.  Well, I'll tell you.  Once I'd finished mowing, I was so drenched with sweat, I decided I was done for the day.  It wasn't that hot, but the humidity was so high, and it couldn't seem to decide if it was going to storm or not.

I came inside, took a shower, and sat down to watch some TV and weave more Zoom Loom squares.  I'll tell you about that tomorrow.  As I was sitting there watching TV and weaving more Zoom Loom squares, I got a text from my coworker.



Yeah, we knew that wouldn't last.  At least this time, those extra two hours count towards overtime. 

And finally, Blogger has changed their dashboard layout.  I hate it.  Seriously, I hate it.  It took me forever just to figure out how to start a new post.  And I can't open just one post any more.  Or I can't figure out how to open a single post any more, rather.  Not from the dashboard, at least.  The old way was much simpler, and much better. 

They need to change it back. 



No comments: